External Hardrive Recommendations? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 04-15-2008, 12:23 PM

Default External Hardrive Recommendations?

Im looking for a usb external hardrive, so i can rip my music to from my labtop and then connect to my xbox 360....

something cheap but with a good capacity, i will rip all cds to wma lossless keep that in mind..

all suggestions would be helpful as well as a website? other then amazon?

thanks in advance
Old 04-15-2008, 01:06 PM

Try craigslist first. Many people sell new or barely used computer parts for a fraction of the price.

If you want to buy retail, use pricewatch.com to search for the cheapest place to buy computer parts.
Old 04-15-2008, 05:57 PM

I have a 320GB western digital my book (the new model got it for 89.99 at Circuit City-- it was on sale)

I love it
Old 04-15-2008, 08:40 PM

How many songs do you have? Do you know off hand how much space they will take up? What's your price range?

The Xbox 360 will not read a hard drive that has been formated for NTFS.

It can read FAT, FAT32, and I believe UDF.
Using FAT/32 you cannot have a single file that is more than 4gigs, as it just won't simply recognize it.
With FAT you can't have a hard drive larger then 2gigs.
Using FAT32 you can go all the way up to 8TB.

So if you do get a hard drive, make sure it's formated to a file system that the 360 can recognize.

Or perhaps you could just stream media to your 360 and not have to worry about any or this.
Old 04-15-2008, 09:19 PM

i cant get my get any of my comps to stream to the xbox......it shows up on my network but i cant get the xbox to recognize the computer?

would a western digital hard drive be recognized by the 360 i have heard good things about them
Old 04-15-2008, 09:26 PM

actually you want HFS+

here's the link:

www.360-hq.com/xbox-tutorials-60.html
Old 04-15-2008, 10:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by REDoverBlu View Post
i cant get my get any of my comps to stream to the xbox......it shows up on my network but i cant get the xbox to recognize the computer?
1. Open Windows Media Player.
2. Click on the Library tab at the top of Windows Media Player.
3. Go down and click on "Media Sharing..."
4 Check to see if the "Xbox 360" is allowed. There should be a check mark with a green background. If not make sure to "Allow' the Xbox 360. Click on the "Xbox 360" icon then click the "Allow" button.
5. Then go to settings. Near the middle right of the "Media Sharing..." window you are already viewing.
6. Verify all the "Default Settings."
7. For some odd reason MSFT decides that only media with two stars or higher will be shared. Also (this is even odder, no strike that stupider) by default your media is not rated, which means no media will be shared, unless of course it has two stars or higher.
7a. The star ratings is in the middle of the window.
7b. Click on "All ratings."
8. In the "Media types" section (far left) verify all boxes are checked, or just the media you wish to share,
9. If you have kids, then check the appropriate ratings in the "Parental ratings" section (far right) otherwise just click on "All ratings"
10. Make sure to click the "Apply or "OK" buttons at the bottom of the windows.

That list above is just for the Windows Media Player settings ) I don't know why MSFT had to make it so hard, and bury everything.

I take it you have everything hooked up through a router, and you have a fairly new (at least no older then when Media Center came out) firewall.

I hope this helps save you some money. Let us know if this solved your problem. Of course some will argue you can save more money by not haveng your computer on 24/7 but I already do, so it makes no difference. Also I don't have a lot of shelf space for extra "useless" things.

Quote:
would a western digital hard drive be recognized by the 360 i have heard good things about them
Again the hard drive has to be formated to a file system the Xbox 360 will recognize. So in theory every hard drive will work with the 360.

How many songs do you have? Do you know off hand how much space they will take up? What's your price range?

Last edited by Z22_Z33; 04-15-2008 at 11:00 PM.
Old 04-15-2008, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by battlechaser View Post
actually you want HFS+
Why does the 360 recognize an Apple file system? But not the Microsoft NTFS?
Old 04-16-2008, 03:15 PM

alright i tried all the settings for windows media player and the xbox is allowed and all that......and it still says no connection under pc ....i have a password on my network does that have anything to do with it?
Old 04-16-2008, 04:28 PM

Quote:
alright i tried all the settings for windows media player and the xbox is allowed and all that......and it still says no connection under pc ....i have a password on my network does that have anything to do with it?
How is the Xbox 360 hooked up to your computer? Do you have the latest update for the 360? Do you know how to change between music/pictures/video sources, by pressing the X button. For some reason, with the latest update to the 360, they changed the way you access the source. So instead of showing a list of all your possible sources to select from, 360 hard drive/portable device/camera/the name of you computer etc, it now automatically chooses the last source you viewed. To go back to this list, you have to press the X button.
Yup, another lame brain idea someone thought up, much like the 2 star ratings but by default your media is not rated <:-|