HD-DVD add-on install question - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-27-2008, 09:59 PM

Question HD-DVD add-on install question

I just purchased an extra HD-DVD add-on for my 360 as a back-up from K-Mart for $37. I got home opened it up and remove my current player from the 360 and connected the new one I just bought and when I put in a HD-DVD it stays stuck on the "Reading" state and it never switches over to the movie instead it's stays on the 360 dashboard.

My question is each HD-DVD Installation disc packaged with the drive made specifically for the drive it came with? In order for the new drive to work, do I need to re-install with the disc it came with?

If anyone knows please let me know. I'm not planning on re-installing the drivers anytime soon since my current HD-DVD drive works perfectly fine right now. I'm just curious because I thought all I needed to do when my current drive dies on me was to switch the old drive with the new one.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halokilla77 View Post
I just purchased an extra HD-DVD add-on for my 360 as a back-up from K-Mart for $37. I got home opened it up and remove my current player from the 360 and connected the new one I just bought and when I put in a HD-DVD it stays stuck on the "Reading" state and it never switches over to the movie instead it's stays on the 360 dashboard.

My question is each HD-DVD Installation disc packaged with the drive made specifically for the drive it came with? In order for the new drive to work, do I need to re-install with the disc it came with?

If anyone knows please let me know. I'm not planning on re-installing the drivers anytime soon since my current HD-DVD drive works perfectly fine right now. I'm just curious because I thought all I needed to do when my current drive dies on me was to switch the old drive with the new one.

Thanks in advance for your help.
You don't even need the install CD anymore. I got a new 360 and did not need to install any software to have it work and play HD-DVDs.

Did you try clearing the cookies?

If none of the usual steps work (to make the add-on work) take the player back and get a new one. Or if your past the return date call MSFT.
Old 03-29-2008, 12:57 PM

I called MS and they told me because it's a new hardware then I would need to reinstall the software/drivers for the 360 to recognize the new drive.
Old 03-31-2008, 11:13 AM

My first HD-DVD drive purchased from Best Buy in February had problems reading HD-DVDs and DVDs. It would not recognize any disks at all. I returned it for another one that worked fine without having to reinstall the software.

I bought a backup from Circuit City and it worked with no problems without reloading the software either.
Old 04-01-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bang4dabuc View Post
My first HD-DVD drive purchased from Best Buy in February had problems reading HD-DVDs and DVDs. It would not recognize any disks at all. I returned it for another one that worked fine without having to reinstall the software.

I bought a backup from Circuit City and it worked with no problems without reloading the software either.
thanks for the response I will try it one more time and if it doesn't read any HD-DVDs off the top without re-installing the software/drivers then I will take it back to exchange it for another one.

Thanks again!
Old 04-01-2008, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by halokilla77 View Post
thanks for the response I will try it one more time and if it doesn't read any HD-DVDs off the top without re-installing the software/drivers then I will take it back to exchange it for another one.

Thanks again!
You might just have to reinstall the software/drivers even if you get a new add-on. As I am sure the new add-on is going to be the same new hardware your current one is.
You could try and install the new software and see if both the old and new add-on still work. If not at least you still got the old software to re-install, right? Of course this is not a PC, and you can't uninstall new software from it. You might just get a warning saying, "software already up to date."
If it works all works with the new software then great! If not and you can't fix it just put your old add-on on the box, rather then the new one, and exchange it at the store. But of course this is not really allowed so use your own discretion.
Old 04-06-2008, 03:41 PM

well here's an update...

I tried re-installing the update on the new drive via the disc it came with and it kept giving me a "Can't update HD-DVD player, please contact MS Support." Which I did and they told me to try and burning the update on a dvd-r and try installing it that way. Well I did and it still wouldn't recognize the drive so I'm taking it back to K-Mart for a refund.

Will try a purchase a stand-alone HD-DVD player as a backup. Thanks everyone for all your comments.