TrueHD and DTS MA on elite black 360? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-23-2007, 09:29 PM

Default TrueHD and DTS MA on elite black 360?

Just wondering if I would be able to play TrueHD and DTS MA with the hd add on and the new hdmi 360 by plugging the hdmi cable into my receiver (yes, my receiver can decode these two audio formats)?

That would be the only reason i would upgrade to the new xbox is for the high def audio, otherwise using the hdmi only for video is sorta pointless as component is sufficient enough.

thanks!
Old 03-24-2007, 01:04 AM

I don't know the answer to your question, but if MS doesn't add TrueHD support (I have heard rumours that DTS support for current Xboxes will be added in the upcoming software update) then they are shooting themselves in the foot.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad5871 View Post
I don't know the answer to your question, but if MS doesn't add TrueHD support (I have heard rumours that DTS support for current Xboxes will be added in the upcoming software update) then they are shooting themselves in the foot.
They'll just release a "Green" one in a year with updated audio and video. It'll run cooler too.
Old 03-26-2007, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggytx View Post
They'll just release a "Green" one in a year with updated audio and video. It'll run cooler too.
Nah. I think instead they'll make it crimson red and include a built-in HD DVD drive.
Old 03-27-2007, 01:42 AM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJammin5 View Post
Just wondering if I would be able to play TrueHD and DTS MA with the hd add on and the new hdmi 360 by plugging the hdmi cable into my receiver (yes, my receiver can decode these two audio formats)?

That would be the only reason i would upgrade to the new xbox is for the high def audio, otherwise using the hdmi only for video is sorta pointless as component is sufficient enough.

thanks!
I would be very curious to know what receiver you have. I am unaware of any HDMI 1.3 receivers (other than Panasonic) on the market. Currently, nothing decodes DTS-MA. In theory, Microsoft could add the TrueHD and DTS-MA to LPCM via HDMI through a software update, but nothing has been announced (even the machine is still speculation until Microsoft fesses up). As for sending the native digital signal the Elite 360 would need HDMI 1.3, but once again, no one has a receiver yet that can decode these siganls.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post
I would be very curious to know what receiver you have. I am unaware of any HDMI 1.3 receivers (other than Panasonic) on the market. Currently, nothing decodes DTS-MA. In theory, Microsoft could add the TrueHD and DTS-MA to LPCM via HDMI through a software update, but nothing has been announced (even the machine is still speculation until Microsoft fesses up). As for sending the native digital signal the Elite 360 would need HDMI 1.3, but once again, no one has a receiver yet that can decode these siganls.
I don't have one yet, but I plan on getting this receiver whenever it becomes available:
http://www.audioholics.com/news/trad...i-1-3-receiver
Old 03-27-2007, 06:43 PM

TruHD is already in the 4+ million lines of code for the HD-DVD add on. As for DTS you get the standard DTS codec.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PJammin5 View Post
I don't have one yet, but I plan on getting this receiver whenever it becomes available:
I actually looked at that receiver before settling on the Pioneer Elite 81TX. I concluded there wasn't any significant advantage of decoding the signal at the receiver vs the player. Since LPCM is still a digital signal, the quality of the DAC at the receiver end would play a bigger part. The Pioneer is HDMI 1.2 compliant and is quite possible one of the finest receivers I have ever purchased. As for the Sherwood, the only problem I see for you is the lack of HDMI 1.3 equipment in general. Once again, we still don't know if the Elite 360 will indeed have HDMI 1.3.
Old 03-27-2007, 09:10 PM

You dont need a 1.3 compliant receiver to hear TruHD, DTS MA or DTS HD. All you need is a receiver that is HDMI compliant and a player that can decode the codec. The existing HDMI spec has plenty of bandwidth for these audio formats.

Now if your player cant decode these high end codecs, then you would need a 1.3 compliant receiver to do the decoding.
Old 03-28-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balthazar2k4 View Post
As for the Sherwood, the only problem I see for you is the lack of HDMI 1.3 equipment in general. Once again, we still don't know if the Elite 360 will indeed have HDMI 1.3.
Why is that a problem? It's not like hdmi 1.3 doesn't work with 1.2 and 1.1. It's only Future proof!