Transferring a WMV larger than 4.7 GB to XBox 360 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-24-2008, 03:44 PM

Question Transferring a WMV larger than 4.7 GB to XBox 360

I've been using the 360 as a media center since before it supported DivX and Xvid. I was using TVersity back in those days to transcode. Since the Xbox and PS3 updates, I have obviously been using it with much more ease. I download a lot of shows and movies in Xvid format and store them on external harddrives which are connected to either of these media devices.

My problem now is I just recently downloaded an HD WMV movie. I really want to play it through my 360 (or even PS3), but I've had serious problems getting this to happen. I was hoping someone would have a solid recommendation for me. Below are the steps I have taken so far:

1) I tried to put the file onto my harddrive to watch it. But, since the 360 and PS3 only recognize USB harddrive formatted in FAT32, and every time I try to copy the 4.8 GB file to the FAT32 drive it says there are insufficient memory to do it (despite there being over 100GB free space on the external harddrive, and over 70GB free space on my PC), I guess I am SOL on that.

2) I formatted another external drive I had in NTFS, and was able to copy the file over to the drive, but as expected the 360 and PS3 refused to recognize the attached drive.

3) I know that I could download and use a problem called MacDrive 7 to format the harddrive in a Mac format that is FAT (or at least recognized by the 360 and PS3 as FAT) but is able to deal with files larger than 4GB.
*Problem is, this software works for 5 days at which point you either have to pay $50 or you can no longer access the Mac formatted drive on your PC (I do not have a Mac, nor do I know anyone with one I could convieniently use).

4) I could burn the movie to a DVD, but the only blanks I have are 4.7 GB and my software informs me the WMV I have is 128MB too big. I havent bought any DVD9s because they are pretty expensive, it would make more sense to rent Blu-rays at that point I think.

5) I have not tried streaming it from my computer, but I have had trouble streaming other large files like this before sheerly because my computer is kind of old. It used to transcode 30 min-1 hour TV shows in TVersity, but it would never make it through transcoding a full movie. I can't imagine it could stream a full HD movie even without having to transcode. I'm going to give that a try next.

So given all this, are there any suggested workarounds for my problem. I just don't know how to get this file from my PC to my 360/PS3 because it won't copy onto a FAT32 drive, and other possible workarounds are expensive. I know I might be SOL, but any suggesstions would be appreciated. Thanks in advance
Old 03-24-2008, 04:39 PM

EDIT: Nevermind, didn't realize you didn't want to pay for software that would fix your problem.

You can format your HDD to "HFS+" (a mac format) and the 360 will read it and play files larger than 4 gigs. The program I use is called "Macdrive".
Old 03-24-2008, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwoodJD View Post
5) I have not tried streaming it from my computer, but I have had trouble streaming other large files like this before sheerly because my computer is kind of old. It used to transcode 30 min-1 hour TV shows in TVersity, but it would never make it through transcoding a full movie. I can't imagine it could stream a full HD movie even without having to transcode. I'm going to give that a try next.
I'd give this a shot. WMV-HDs don't need to be transcoded so it'll be up to the speed of your network. It would be just like transferring a file. Wired should be fine, wireless could be sketchy. They will play just fine from Windows Media Player. Don't try to use Media Center Extender to play it, there's some extra networking overhead that'll bog down the network.

EDIT: Oh crap you have a MAC don't you. Is there software that just serves and not transcodes?
Old 03-24-2008, 04:53 PM

Here is what your looking for, you need to format it to FAT32, but you have to do it using Linux for it to work. Didn't read much on the guide as I use MacDrive, but I knew where to find it. Give it a shot, http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=633883
Old 03-24-2008, 08:07 PM

Not sure if you have a Mac or a PC, but if you have a PC I'd second Dustoman's suggestion. I have a wired network and streaming HD movies isn't a problem at all. I haven't tried it over a wireless network, however.

Be advised that you'll need Windows Media Player 11 and you'll need to share a folder through it. Put the file there and then connect to your PC through the Xbox. I'm sure there are better instructions out there than this, but let me know if you can't get it to work.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:20 PM

i just burn mine to dual layer dvd's they really aren't THAT expensive if you know where to get them from....i pay maybe $1 a disc for them
Old 03-24-2008, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwoodJD View Post
I

I've been doing the same thing for a long time on my computer. It's works just fine. In fact I have converted a couple of DVDs to HD-WMV and it's works great. Don't ask why I converted a SD-DVD to HD-WMV. Also my computer is about 3 years old now and it works just fine. I have built a new computer in the mean time, but the performance for streaming media is identical Then again what should I expect since the 360 is doing all the hard work not the computer

How old is your computer, what are the specs, what operating system do you have? How do you have your computer hooked up to the 360? If you can play the video on your computer it should work to stream it to the 360. Secondly I believe the 360 will do all the processing, and as someone else said your computer will just stream it to your computer.

Here's where it gets kind of wierd (slaps MSFT on the back of the head). You have to enable media sharing through Window Media Player. Secondly, click the "Settings.." button from the media sharing window, go to star ratings (which is in the middle of the window), then click on "All ratings." If you don't do this only media with 2 stars or higher will show up on your 360. By default all your media has no ratings, so nothing will show up on the 360. Did you also remember to "allow" the "Xbox 360"
Old 03-24-2008, 09:19 PM

Default Thanks

Thanks for all the great suggestions. I have a PC, not mac, and was able to just stream with TVersity and my wireless network and computer had no problems playing it back.

Now the problem is just getting these files off my PC, but I guess for the time being I'll send them to a NTFS formatted drive and stream from the PC. If that turns out to be more hassle than its worth (I prefer having the HDD plugged right into the 360), then I will probably just purchase MACdrive since I've gotten a number of positive recommendations about it.

Thanks for all the help!