Question for Elite owners - HDMI for video, RCA for audio? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-23-2008, 02:59 PM

Question for Elite owners - HDMI for video, RCA for audio?

I'm thinking about trading in my Pro system for an Elite (or at least a Pro with an HDMI port) and I thought of a question. My TV's speakers aren't that great, and I have a nice little 2.1 system set up for my room. It only has the two red and white RCA inputs however. Would I be able to output video through HDMI and audio through RCA, like the PS3 can? In the PS3's menu, you can pick how to output video and audio seperately. The 360 doesn't have a menu for this.

Thanks for any help!
Old 03-23-2008, 03:37 PM

Yes, you can run your HDMI cable to your TV, and use the audio adapter that comes with the elite to run RCA cables to your 2.1 system. It will automatically output audio through both cables, no setting is required. If you get a pro with HDMI you need to either buy the audio adapter (its a rip off) or take the plastic part off a regular audio/video cable so it will fit with an HDMI cable (there are threads on this).
Old 03-28-2008, 07:18 PM

Just go for the elite it is a much better deal. You get all the cables, as well as a 120 gig hard drive.

Or, I bet your TV has RCA audio outputs.
Or better yet just stick with your component cables, as HDMI offers no real advantage (minus the audio) over them. Unless of course you have a TV that only does 1080p over HDMI, and your TV is larger then 50 inches (in which case you would need 1080p).
Old 03-29-2008, 01:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z22_Z33 View Post
Just go for the elite it is a much better deal. You get all the cables, as well as a 120 gig hard drive.

Or, I bet your TV has RCA audio outputs.
Or better yet just stick with your component cables, as HDMI offers no real advantage (minus the audio) over them. Unless of course you have a TV that only does 1080p over HDMI, and your TV is larger then 50 inches (in which case you would need 1080p).
Not true, HDMI looks noticeably better and I believe upscaling is only possible with VGA and HDMI.
Old 03-29-2008, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan0490 View Post
Not true, HDMI looks noticeably better and I believe upscaling is only possible with VGA and HDMI.
HDMI and component look the same. But true you can only upscale with HDMI and VGA. Due to copyright protection, not technical limitations.
Old 03-29-2008, 04:30 AM

Quote:
HDMI and component look the same. But true you can only upscale with HDMI and VGA. Due to copyright protection, not technical limitations.
i really cant agree here. my video looks crisper with the hdmi, and i run it at 1080i!
Old 03-29-2008, 08:14 AM

Quote:
No they don't. Component has a limited color range while HDMI doesn't. If Glocks was still around he'd be able to explain it better

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nathan0490 View Post
Correct. DVD upscaling can only be done via VGA or HDMI. I believe games can be upscaled via component though.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themiz69 View Post
i really cant agree here. my video looks crisper with the hdmi, and i run it at 1080i!
What source material are you using and comparing?
I compared my 360 (with component) to a nice up-converting Samsung(of course it was HDMI), I used an old DVD to do this, and both pictures looked identical. I then compared the Sammy with the Toshiba and the Toshiba blew it out of the water.
This was all done on the same TV, a 32 inch Samsung running at 1080i.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSonOfKrypton View Post
No they don't. Component has a limited color range while HDMI doesn't. If Glocks was still around he'd be able to explain it better
You have part of this true. HDMI has the capability to display a better picture and a higher color range.

What is comes down to is the source. What the video is you are going to watch and the hardware you are using to output a picture, of course what is displaying the picture is equally as important. So any current day HD-DVD/Blu-Ray/DVD/Video Game will look the same with component and HDMI cables. Since the same amount of data is flowing down the pipe.

Once there are video material that take advantage of deep color, then yes there will be a major difference. But as of now it might just have to do with the video chip/scaler in your TV.

Unless you can prove me otherwise. But I believe most if not all video sources are optimized for a component world.

Who was Glocks, and what's up with the frowning face?

Last edited by Z22_Z33; 04-01-2008 at 03:56 AM.
Old 04-01-2008, 03:54 AM

Quote:
You have part of this true. HDMI has the capability to display a better picture and a higher color range.

What is comes down to is the source material. So any current day HD-DVD/Blu-Ray/DVD/Video Game will look the same with component and HDMI cables. Since the same amount of data is flowing down the pipe.

Once there are video material that take advantage of deep color, then yes there will be a major difference. But as of now it might just have to do with the video chip/scaler in your TV.

Unless you can prove me otherwise. But I believe most if not all video sources are optimized for a component world.

Who was Glocks, and what's up with the frowning face?
my eyes dont lie. i can see a difference in the PQ for sure. now i cant prove u otherwise but if the picture was the same then why would they even bother to come out with the pro model xbox 360??? are there any games on the current xbox roster that plan on using "deep colors"?
Old 04-01-2008, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by themiz69 View Post
my eyes dont lie. i can see a difference in the PQ for sure. now i cant prove u otherwise but if the picture was the same then why would they even bother to come out with the pro model xbox 360??? are there any games on the current xbox roster that plan on using "deep colors"?
They are most likely trying to compete against the PS3. Also not many TVs allow you to display a 1080p picture with component. Secondly you can only display HD-DVD/Blu-Ray at 1080i (only due to copyright laws), hence you can only use HDMI to display a 1080p HD-DVD/Blu-Ray.

No there are no games, and never will be any games that support "deep color." Simply for the fact the HDMI port is version 1.2. You can only output deep color with 1.3. This is also the reason we will never see (I mean hear) TrueHD or DTS-HD as it can only be done through 1.3. But it does appear 1.2 can support up to 8 channels of audio.

Well I hope you aren't seeing things then, or under the placebo affect. As I stated early it could just be the video chip/scaler on your TV. As a TV process and does different things for the feeds it gets from component and HDMI.

Have you tried running 1080p signal to your TV? It looks like it can accept it, but will de-interlace it. Who knows if that would look better or worse.