Sleep Timer for Add on HD DVD - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-17-2007, 09:05 PM
Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 71
Default Sleep Timer for Add on HD DVD

Hey, just a quick question.... is their a sleep time button for HD DVD add on????
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-18-2007, 10:57 AM
DustoMan's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,007
Default

There's an auto-off for the entire system you can enable. It will turn off the system after 6 hours if no buttons are pressed. But for the add-on specifically, sadly there's no "sleep" feature.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-23-2007, 07:06 PM
Staffyman's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 888
Default

That's one of the things that annoys me about the add-on. I wish it wouldn't switch on until I wanted it to.

I'm just thinking about all the electricity it's burning unnecessarily when I'm just gaming and not watching any HD-DVDs, whch is most of the time.

I'd be much happier if there was an option in the Xbox menus to switch it on and off when it's needed/not needed.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 03-23-2007, 07:53 PM
DustoMan's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffyman View Post
That's one of the things that annoys me about the add-on. I wish it wouldn't switch on until I wanted it to.

I'm just thinking about all the electricity it's burning unnecessarily when I'm just gaming and not watching any HD-DVDs, whch is most of the time.

I'd be much happier if there was an option in the Xbox menus to switch it on and off when it's needed/not needed.
Well if you're not using the USB ports in the back, then I can see why you would want that feature. I'm using them for my Vision camera and wireless adapter so really cutting the power to the unit while I'm not watching movies wouldn't be beneficial to me.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 03-23-2007, 08:11 PM
Staffyman's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 888
Default

That's a good point, and you're correct that I'm not using those ports.

I still think it would be a decent option though, and MS has sold the 360 (and its peripherals) on the basis of 'choice' depending upon the gamer's circumstance. My current circumstances mean that such an option would be of benefit for me, however that's obviously not the case for you, and may not always be the case for me if I pick up either of those items.

I think implementing such an option, in a future Dashboard update (if technically possible), to give owners the choice though would be in keeping with MS' apparent strategy.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 03-23-2007, 08:33 PM
chad5871's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 855
Default

I'm sorry, I have always found sleep timers useless. Why would you want to leave the 360 on if you're not going to be using it? I may have misunderstood your original post, but I'm just curious as to why you really need this feature...
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 03-23-2007, 08:44 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 1,107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad5871 View Post
I'm sorry, I have always found sleep timers useless. Why would you want to leave the 360 on if you're not going to be using it? I may have misunderstood your original post, but I'm just curious as to why you really need this feature...
i'd love to have a sleep function for the add-on. there are times when i know i'm falling asleep, but would like to keep on watching whatever i was watching. i mean you really don't want to wake up to the ring of death...
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 03-23-2007, 08:54 PM
Staffyman's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 888
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad5871 View Post
I'm sorry, I have always found sleep timers useless. Why would you want to leave the 360 on if you're not going to be using it?
The OP is talking about the add-on, not the 360 itself.

To take my example, I use the 360 primarily as a games machine, so would prefer not to have the add-on running all the time the 360 is switched on. I'd prefer to not have to go through the hassle of plugging/unplugging the damn thing to acheive this, so a sleep button/option would be a desirable feature (IMHO).
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 03-24-2007, 01:20 AM
chad5871's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Posts: 855
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffyman View Post
The OP is talking about the add-on, not the 360 itself.

To take my example, I use the 360 primarily as a games machine, so would prefer not to have the add-on running all the time the 360 is switched on. I'd prefer to not have to go through the hassle of plugging/unplugging the damn thing to acheive this, so a sleep button/option would be a desirable feature (IMHO).
Oh, I thought you were talking about a timer that you arbitrarily set and the thing automatically shuts off after however long you set it for.

I agree - a sleep button would be good. Why didn't they just design it so that it wasn't running unless it had a disc in it or the eject button was pushed? Faster loading times?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
The Devil Is a Part Timer: Complete Series on Blu-ray July 5 mattedscreen Blu-ray Software General Discussion 0 05-11-2016 06:37 PM
Walmart to add DVD fixtures keep aisles clean, add product towergrove High Definition Smackdown 0 01-04-2010 08:56 PM
Sleep Dealer BD $11.99 @Amazon.com cheez avenger Ultra-HD/Blu-ray Bargains 3 10-17-2009 11:48 PM
First Timer and a few comments rgreenpc General Discussion: Both Formats 0 08-21-2007 02:45 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off