Sleep Timer for Add on HD DVD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-17-2007, 09:05 PM

Default Sleep Timer for Add on HD DVD

Hey, just a quick question.... is their a sleep time button for HD DVD add on????
Old 03-18-2007, 10:57 AM

There's an auto-off for the entire system you can enable. It will turn off the system after 6 hours if no buttons are pressed. But for the add-on specifically, sadly there's no "sleep" feature.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:06 PM

That's one of the things that annoys me about the add-on. I wish it wouldn't switch on until I wanted it to.

I'm just thinking about all the electricity it's burning unnecessarily when I'm just gaming and not watching any HD-DVDs, whch is most of the time.

I'd be much happier if there was an option in the Xbox menus to switch it on and off when it's needed/not needed.
Old 03-23-2007, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffyman View Post
That's one of the things that annoys me about the add-on. I wish it wouldn't switch on until I wanted it to.

I'm just thinking about all the electricity it's burning unnecessarily when I'm just gaming and not watching any HD-DVDs, whch is most of the time.

I'd be much happier if there was an option in the Xbox menus to switch it on and off when it's needed/not needed.
Well if you're not using the USB ports in the back, then I can see why you would want that feature. I'm using them for my Vision camera and wireless adapter so really cutting the power to the unit while I'm not watching movies wouldn't be beneficial to me.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:11 PM

That's a good point, and you're correct that I'm not using those ports.

I still think it would be a decent option though, and MS has sold the 360 (and its peripherals) on the basis of 'choice' depending upon the gamer's circumstance. My current circumstances mean that such an option would be of benefit for me, however that's obviously not the case for you, and may not always be the case for me if I pick up either of those items.

I think implementing such an option, in a future Dashboard update (if technically possible), to give owners the choice though would be in keeping with MS' apparent strategy.
Old 03-23-2007, 08:33 PM

I'm sorry, I have always found sleep timers useless. Why would you want to leave the 360 on if you're not going to be using it? I may have misunderstood your original post, but I'm just curious as to why you really need this feature...
Old 03-23-2007, 08:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad5871 View Post
I'm sorry, I have always found sleep timers useless. Why would you want to leave the 360 on if you're not going to be using it? I may have misunderstood your original post, but I'm just curious as to why you really need this feature...
i'd love to have a sleep function for the add-on. there are times when i know i'm falling asleep, but would like to keep on watching whatever i was watching. i mean you really don't want to wake up to the ring of death...
Old 03-23-2007, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chad5871 View Post
I'm sorry, I have always found sleep timers useless. Why would you want to leave the 360 on if you're not going to be using it?
The OP is talking about the add-on, not the 360 itself.

To take my example, I use the 360 primarily as a games machine, so would prefer not to have the add-on running all the time the 360 is switched on. I'd prefer to not have to go through the hassle of plugging/unplugging the damn thing to acheive this, so a sleep button/option would be a desirable feature (IMHO).
Old 03-24-2007, 01:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staffyman View Post
The OP is talking about the add-on, not the 360 itself.

To take my example, I use the 360 primarily as a games machine, so would prefer not to have the add-on running all the time the 360 is switched on. I'd prefer to not have to go through the hassle of plugging/unplugging the damn thing to acheive this, so a sleep button/option would be a desirable feature (IMHO).
Oh, I thought you were talking about a timer that you arbitrarily set and the thing automatically shuts off after however long you set it for.

I agree - a sleep button would be good. Why didn't they just design it so that it wasn't running unless it had a disc in it or the eject button was pushed? Faster loading times?