xbox 360 Question - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-17-2007, 02:07 PM

Default xbox 360 Question

I don't know if this is the right thread, if it is mods please remove it. anyways, I am in a dilemma, I want to buy the xbox 360, however, there are a few things that are holding me back. First I have heard that the consolebecome really hot, it that a mojor issue? second that there is something called the ring of death? I don't know what that means. Lastly, I have heard that a new xbox360 may ba launced this year. I haven't had a game console since, Atari, which I had when I was a kid back in my home country. In between I played some PC games but I am not a PC gamer. Now I am in the US, and I want to buy a console and with all the choices it hard for me to decide. I also read somewhere that if you get the bestbuy replacement for $50, later you can take the console and say that the games are loading slower or someting and they refund you the purchase price. If this is true than it would be great since if a new one comes later in the year, I can get a refund and buy the new one then. Can any one confirm this.
Please guys, I need help to get over this dilemma.

Cheers!!!
Old 03-17-2007, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sid369 View Post
I don't know if this is the right thread, if it is mods please remove it. anyways, I am in a dilemma, I want to buy the xbox 360, however, there are a few things that are holding me back. First I have heard that the consolebecome really hot, it that a mojor issue? second that there is something called the ring of death? I don't know what that means. Lastly, I have heard that a new xbox360 may ba launced this year. I haven't had a game console since, Atari, which I had when I was a kid back in my home country. In between I played some PC games but I am not a PC gamer. Now I am in the US, and I want to buy a console and with all the choices it hard for me to decide. I also read somewhere that if you get the bestbuy replacement for $50, later you can take the console and say that the games are loading slower or someting and they refund you the purchase price. If this is true than it would be great since if a new one comes later in the year, I can get a refund and buy the new one then. Can any one confirm this.
Please guys, I need help to get over this dilemma.

Cheers!!!
1. Heat: The console can run hot, but you need not worry about this as long as you have it in a well ventilated area. The 360 has more than adequate air-flow if it has room to "breathe". So basically don't stuff it in a small enclosed space and you should be fine. My console has only overheated once, and I've owned a 360 since launch in Nov 2005.

2.Ring of Death: I'm not going to sugar coat it, this is a legitimate worry that all 360 owners have. In fact, I just suffered one a few days ago and had to get a new console. Basically the ring of death is when the console's front circular light ring (made up of 4 lights) displays 3 red lights. This means that the console has suffered a hardware failure and is now nothing more than a paperweight unless you get it repaired. And since that costs $140 outside of the 1 year warranty, and all you get back is a refurb, many (including myself) opt for a new console. So yes, the 360's do fail, and it is fairly common, but as long as you buy the 2 year replacement plan you have nothing to worry about.

3. New 360: It is rumored that a new 360 model w/ HDMI and a larger HDD will be coming out in the coming months. So whether you want to wait and see what happens is up to you. Just realize that the new console will probably be more expensive, so if you still plan on paying 399, you may want to just get the component cable/20 GB HDD version now. It really just depends on how important HDMI is for you.

So basically it's all up to you, but don't be put off by some of the flaws...the 360 is an amazing console, with a huge amount of titles and a great online environment that is unmatched (it's $50 a year, but it's worth the money). So I would definitely say go for it.
Old 03-17-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat H View Post
1. Heat: The console can run hot, but you need not worry about this as long as you have it in a well ventilated area. The 360 has more than adequate air-flow if it has room to "breathe". So basically don't stuff it in a small enclosed space and you should be fine. My console has only overheated once, and I've owned a 360 since launch in Nov 2005.
New chips being developed for better heat reduction. Which will be comming out the middle of summer.

Quote:
2.Ring of Death: I'm not going to sugar coat it, this is a legitimate worry that all 360 owners have. In fact, I just suffered one a few days ago and had to get a new console. Basically the ring of death is when the console's front circular light ring (made up of 4 lights) displays 3 red lights. This means that the console has suffered a hardware failure and is now nothing more than a paperweight unless you get it repaired. And since that costs $140 outside of the 1 year warranty, and all you get back is a refurb, many (including myself) opt for a new console. So yes, the 360's do fail, and it is fairly common, but as long as you buy the 2 year replacement plan you have nothing to worry about.
The first console I have ever owned to crap out on me. But I ran the thing pretty much night n day. And MS offers a 1 year warrenty, ontop of the retail one if you want it.

Quote:
3. New 360: It is rumored that a new 360 model w/ HDMI and a larger HDD will be coming out in the coming months. So whether you want to wait and see what happens is up to you. Just realize that the new console will probably be more expensive, so if you still plan on paying 399, you may want to just get the component cable/20 GB HDD version now. It really just depends on how important HDMI is for you.
Still a rumor at this point. Moore interview in new EGM, basically denied it's existance. And supposedly retailers have the SKU in thier systems. Though I where I work, I asked around and no one knew what I was talking about.. So keep your fingers crossed.

Quote:
So basically it's all up to you, but don't be put off by some of the flaws...the 360 is an amazing console, with a huge amount of titles and a great online environment that is unmatched (it's $50 a year, but it's worth the money). So I would definitely say go for it.
I'd say wait it out till summer if you want. It is an excellent console and with XBL it's even better.
Old 03-17-2007, 08:49 PM

I'd wait til May since that seems to be the time when MS has done 2 out of it's 3 Price drops for the XB1.