Okay, I need clarification on the 360's DVD/HD DVD capabilities... - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-14-2007, 09:48 AM

Default Okay, I need clarification on the 360's DVD/HD DVD capabilities...

I have read many times, and seen screen shot examples, of how the 360's stand alone SD DVD playback is pretty poor.

Then I read that the HD-DVD playback is pretty good (which I do watch, and do enjoy).

I also read that the 360 can upscale SD DVDs...but only if inserted into the HD-DVD drive, which makes no sense to me, as the drive is not doing the processing. The 360 itself is. So you should get the same quality SD DVD image from the 360 itself.

Does the HD-DVD install disc have playback software on it that improves the SD DVD quality? If so, can I then just install that disc on a 360 w/o the HD-DVD player and get the improved SD DVD playback?

I would test all this myself, but my 360 is being repaired...over and over.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:34 PM

the 360 will upscale dvd's if you use the vga cables ... it has to be that way due to some legal issues or whatever
Old 03-14-2007, 01:06 PM

I went from a Sony progressive scan DVD player to using my Xbox, and there was a SIGNIFICANT improvement, while I don't know if this is true upconversion since I'm using component, but just as an example, The 'Lost' seasons look damn near HD. So they got something going on there, cuz my SD DVD player looked like poo on my TV. I keep hearing the Xbox only upscales using the VGA cables, but I think this might apply only if your looking for a 1080p upconversion, since I didn't notice much difference when I tried VGA. And it works through both drives, the add-on is not necessary for upconversion. Bottom line: On the 360, SD DVDs look great on a native 720p set. I couldn't speak for a 1080p, however.

And it's my understanding that the upconversion software was available through Xbox Live, so if you have a launch system that has never been hooked up to Live, your system might not upconvert. But you can have MS mail you the updates on a disc.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:16 PM

i think you can download the update from xbox.com and burn it to a disc rather than wait on mail
Old 03-14-2007, 03:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by half-sane View Post
i think you can download the update from xbox.com and burn it to a disc rather than wait on mail
Right on. Forgot to mention that.
Old 03-14-2007, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BanthaPoodoo View Post
I went from a Sony progressive scan DVD player to using my Xbox, and there was a SIGNIFICANT improvement, while I don't know if this is true upconversion since I'm using component, but just as an example, The 'Lost' seasons look damn near HD. So they got something going on there, cuz my SD DVD player looked like poo on my TV. I keep hearing the Xbox only upscales using the VGA cables, but I think this might apply only if your looking for a 1080p upconversion, since I didn't notice much difference when I tried VGA. And it works through both drives, the add-on is not necessary for upconversion. Bottom line: On the 360, SD DVDs look great on a native 720p set. I couldn't speak for a 1080p, however.

And it's my understanding that the upconversion software was available through Xbox Live, so if you have a launch system that has never been hooked up to Live, your system might not upconvert. But you can have MS mail you the updates on a disc.
What you're viewing Lost in is 480p. The 360 will NOT upscale SD-DVD's through component cables, you must have the VGA cables for that feature to be enabled.

HD-DVD's will display at 480p/720p/1080i through component and will display all resolutions including 1080p through VGA.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:38 PM

Hmm, so perhaps those VERY negative SD DVD playback reviews I've read for the 360 were before the update. Dunno if you guys have read them, but a quick google search will find them. There are screen shots and everything showing all different video processing functions looking pretty shoddy.

I ask this becasue I just recently picked up a projector that is 800 x 600. My progressive scan DVD player is hooked up with a component -> VESA adapter, and I was thinking my 360 might have a better scaler than my DVD player or projector.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spikeystitch View Post
What you're viewing Lost in is 480p. The 360 will NOT upscale SD-DVD's through component cables, you must have the VGA cables for that feature to be enabled.
Gee, thanks for restating what I said I've already read a thousand times. I wanted to read it again.

I'm well aware of the copyright issues that prevent a 1080p signal through component cables. What I'm saying is that I've never read anything that says the 360 does absolutely NO conversion at all through the component cables. My eyes say there is (however I realize this could be due to other factors), even though it might not be up to par with other players upconversion capabilities. Everything I've read pertains to the 1080 limit. Perhaps someone could find a credible article regarding this issue.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:26 PM

OK, answerd my own question. So, SD DVD playback might be a bit better than many stand-alone SD players (as was my case), but no upconversion. So, it would be nice if there were a future update that enabled upconversion to 720p via component. I don't see why that can't be done. Thoughts anyone?
Old 03-14-2007, 06:22 PM

BanthaPoodoo...

Check this out:

http://www.neodigits.com/new/body/pr...4000/h4000.asp

It is an awsome DVD player...but I'm not posting it for just it's awesomeness, but the fact that it can upconvert a DVD up to 1080p via component. So it can be done. Legally? I think 720p is fine. 1080p might be iffy.