I just joined the bricked 360 club! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-14-2007, 12:55 AM

Angry I just joined the bricked 360 club!

Yup, RIP my 360. Just died tonight w/ the red ring of death, right after an update for a game (no surprise there). And I'm having a party this friday, so it couldn't have happened at a more convenient time! (sarcasm)

It's a launch console so it's past warranty. How do I go about getting this thing repaired/replaced? Or is it better just to buy a new core system and snap my current hard drive onto that?

Last edited by Pat H; 03-14-2007 at 02:16 AM.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:58 AM

So basically, there could be buggy update that bricks your console, and you're just sh*t out of luck? What is that? There has to be some liability here.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat H View Post
Yup, RIP my 360. Just died tonight w/ the red ring of death, right after an update for a game (no surprise there). And I'm having a party this friday, so it couldn't have happened at a more convenient time! (sarcasm)

It's a launch console so it's past warranty. How do I go about getting this thing repaired/replaced? Or is it better just to buy a new core system and snap my current hard drive onto that?
It might be out of warranty, but give them a call anyways. I called after mine had some over-heating issues and they said "you mean your xbox?" So I proceded to register my system right there (for a second time) and had it replaced that week. Who know's you might get lucky.
Old 03-14-2007, 01:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggytx View Post
It might be out of warranty, but give them a call anyways. I called after mine had some over-heating issues and they said "you mean your xbox?" So I proceded to register my system right there (for a second time) and had it replaced that week. Who know's you might get lucky.
was your's in warranty? And did they charge you?

I'm gonna argue this thing for however long it takes. It works fine for over a year, and then a friggin update destroys it. WTF!?! Screw MS! But I'm gonna have to get another one anyway because I already have a lot of games + the add-on. Plus the fact that I hate the play station.

Quote:
So basically, there could be buggy update that bricks your console, and you're just sh*t out of luck? What is that? There has to be some liability here.
Yup, that's about the whole of it. And no, MS takes no liability for anything unless it's in warranty.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:00 AM

I feel like I'm the luckiest guy in the world, having a launch 360 that still actually works. I have about a dozen friends who have bought 360's and had them die on them, as well as countless numbers of forum members such as yourself. It's crap, really. If the 360 weren't such a fantastic console I'd say screw it.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeve View Post
I feel like I'm the luckiest guy in the world, having a launch 360 that still actually works. I have about a dozen friends who have bought 360's and had them die on them, as well as countless numbers of forum members such as yourself. It's crap, really. If the 360 weren't such a fantastic console I'd say screw it.
It's quite obvious that the 360 has some pretty crappy build quality when so many people's consoles die after a year of use (I'm more of a casual gamer too, so it's not like I used the thing 24/7). But as you said, it's an amazing console, and it's for that reason only that I'm even considering replacing it.

But what I'm trying to decide is if it's worth the 140 to get a refurb, which is technically used, or just get a brand new core system for 299 and swap my HDD. Option #1 would be more cost-efficient, but #2 would be much faster and less risky, since the hardware is brand-new. Any opinions?
Old 03-14-2007, 02:25 AM

I have had mine since launch and nothing bad to report. My friends also have had no problems. I have seen the red lights once and that was because the power went out and came back on really quick. Yeah, I would call them. A patch shouldnt do this so I would fight to the death to make them repair it for free. Also what game was it that was updating?

Last edited by timbobarry; 03-14-2007 at 02:28 AM.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat H View Post
It's quite obvious that the 360 has some pretty crappy build quality when so many people's consoles die after a year of use (I'm more of a casual gamer too, so it's not like I used the thing 24/7). But as you said, it's an amazing console, and it's for that reason only that I'm even considering replacing it.

But what I'm trying to decide is if it's worth the 140 to get a refurb, which is technically used, or just get a brand new core system for 299 and swap my HDD. Option #1 would be more cost-efficient, but #2 would be much faster and less risky, since the hardware is brand-new. Any opinions?
I'd go with option # 2. As you said, it's less risky, and consoles manufactured after 2006 have a new dvd-rom drive in them which is supposedly CONSIDERABLY quieter than the normal one(and we both know how fricken' loud that sucker is).

So it's sort of luck of the draw, because there's still a lot of systems out there manufactured before the end of 2006.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleeve View Post
I'd go with option # 2. As you said, it's less risky, and consoles manufactured after 2006 have a new dvd-rom drive in them which is supposedly CONSIDERABLY quieter than the normal one(and we both know how fricken' loud that sucker is).

So it's sort of luck of the draw, because there's still a lot of systems out there manufactured before the end of 2006.
Well # 2 is looking to be the best option, but that may not matter if this thing I'm reading about consoles manufactured at launch is true. Apparently MS will replace any consoles manufactured Nov. of 05 or earlier for free because of mass defects with that batch. Mine has a manufacture date of Oct. 2005, so it's looking like I may be eligible for a free console. As I said before, it will be a refurb, which bothers me, but it's free, which is near impossible to pass up. I'll call MS tomorrow and see what they have to say. If it's $140, than I'm just going w/ a new system. But if it's free, I may have to take my chances w/ a refurb whether I like it or not.

Quote:
Also what game was it that was updating?
Test Drive Unlimited. I started the game and it told me an update was required, it took about 5 secs, and then the game restarted. As soon as it got past the intro screen the screen distorted, and I had to restart. But when I turned it on again I got the ring of death. I've been fooling around w/ cables and such for the past hour, and sometimes I get it to turn on and boot up, but it fails again after 2 minutes or so. It's a lost cause as far as I'm concerned.
Old 03-14-2007, 02:54 AM

What about waiting a little bit? I've been a little out of it, so this is faulty news, please let me know... but isn't there supposed to be something like an HDMI version with a larger capacity HDD coming out?