What if.... there was a Xbox 360 Blu-ray add-on? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-13-2007, 03:40 AM

Default What if.... there was a Xbox 360 Blu-ray add-on?

I was kind of thinking about the possibilities of how awesome the Xbox 360 would be if they also released a Blu-Ray add-on. Top it off with a new HDMI 360 and we could have the most complete home theater component bar none.

It's kind of a win lost for Microsoft if they were to release such a product. On one hand they kind of help Blu-Ray pull ahead of HD-DVD, but on the other (which I would think is the bigger pictutre for Microsoft) such a product could literally kill off the PS3 (obviously not completely) which would hurt Sony pretty bad but they would also be helping Sony with Blu-Ray. I know Sony could just turn around and do the same thing and release an HD-DVD add-on but the 360s game lineup is so much more complete there would not be much reason for people to buy the PS3 anymore. I for one would buy a $200 Blu-Ray add-on in a second to sit next to my 360 HD-DVD add-on. I'd probably even move my XA1 to the secondary room and leave the 360 as the primary source for HT use. If MS releases a 360 with HDMI and full advanced codec support it would just be icing on the cake.

Anyway I'm just thinking out loud more than anything.
Old 03-13-2007, 03:51 AM

i was thinking what if there was NO blu-ray to begin with
Old 03-13-2007, 10:22 AM
Super Moderator

Well I would have a PS3 at some point regardless of the BD aspect, therefore the fact that it has a BD player is a bonus and means I wouldn't need a BD add-on. After all, how can these boxes be stacked!?
Old 03-13-2007, 08:51 PM

I can imagine you're not alone in that respect of having a PS3 for gaming. I honestly do think the PS3 will become a very good gaming machine, I just think they came out maybe 6 months too soon. However when I compare the exclusive game lineups I think Sony is going to have their hands full playing catchup. As far as stacking the boxes I am able to have mine all sitting vertically, besides that I did not put much thought into how to stack them.

I guess also as I get a little older I find my spare time for gaming to be less and less. I find the 360 meets all my gaming needs to the fullest extent and even if I had a PS3 I would not have much time to use it for gaming, although the Blu-Ray side would be nice.

Last edited by Mobius; 03-13-2007 at 08:57 PM.
Old 03-13-2007, 11:41 PM

I'd buy a blu-ray add-on in a heartbeat. Let's face it, blu-ray is the clear winner here, and even if it isn't, there are far more blu-ray movies that I want than there are HD-DVD movies.

To be honest, I only got the HD add-on because it was a cheap entry point into high-def.
Old 03-14-2007, 12:13 AM

It would be somewhat tempting, but I'd still pass on it. I've picked my side in the HD format battle already, and it's HD DVD...
Old 03-14-2007, 01:08 AM

And the Iggy response for What If threads....

(everybody say it now)
And What If I Crapped Money.... I'd Be Rich!!!
(I think this i've hit double digits for this response now)
Old 03-14-2007, 09:02 AM

I probably would buy it. I do prefer HD DVD movies over Blu-ray (compared many movies with my friends PS3), but they have exclusive titles that I want. The add on is so cheap as it is.
Old 03-21-2007, 04:38 AM

well MS has stated this before that depending on how the tide goes, they could offer a Blu-ray drive. I could see this more if MS was just a provider but even if HD-DVD fails by years end, I find it hard to see MS backing Blu-ray but if anything, HD-DVD has failed, they have already banked on it and now they can bank on Blu-ray so its a no loss for them to offer it but only if HD-DVD fails
Old 03-21-2007, 02:09 PM

what if........ you never thought of that ridiculous idea, for one its a silly idea HD DVD is perfectly content and what is with the HDMI obsession on the 360 im sorry but component really is not that bad, i wouldnt pay and extra $200 just for a hdmi port, and why would microsoft even considering adopting blu ray it would cost them money, time and effort and in the outcome it would probably be rubbish.