What to buy? HD DVD add on for X360 or Pioneer Elite DV-46AV? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-08-2007, 10:59 AM

Default What to buy? HD DVD add on for X360 or Pioneer Elite DV-46AV?

Hello everybody
Here is a newbie who is in need for your help (a long time reader of AVSforum)
I'm in the process of completing my setup and I need some advice to make my purchase. Recently I bought a VSX-1016TXV pioneer receiver and now i'm in market for a good upconverting DVD player. I'm trying to decide between either the HD DVD add on for X360 or a pioneer DV-46AV. (too bad my PS3 cant upconvert DVDs). How does X360 do in SD playback? does it upconvert DVDs via HD-DVD add on ( I have connected the X360 to my tv using VGA cable)I also see alot of issues regarding X360's DD+ output. will it be noticable for an average consumer like me? does the add on support DTS or DTS ES (send it as bitstream through optical)?
I appreciate if you guys can help me out in this decision. The pioneer player also plays DVD Audio and SACD. is it important to support those formats anymore? or should I rather go HDDVD?
I have a huge DVD collection and PS3's DVD quality output is awful! Blu-ray looks fantastic but I want a player than can do a good job of upconverting my dvds. I dont mind to have a HDDVD player but I rather go with a option that provides better DVD output for now. If HD DVD add on can do a good job, then i'm all for that
I'm looking forward for your help
thank you
Old 03-08-2007, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakashizuma View Post
Recently I bought a VSX-1016TXV pioneer receiver and now i'm in market for a good upconverting DVD player. I'm trying to decide between either the HD DVD add on for X360 or a pioneer DV-46AV. (too bad my PS3 cant upconvert DVDs).

1. How does X360 do in SD playback?

2.Does it upconvert DVDs via HD-DVD add on ( I have connected the X360 to my tv using VGA cable)?

3. I also see alot of issues regarding X360's DD+ output. will it be noticable for an average consumer like me?

4. Does the add on support DTS or DTS ES (send it as bitstream through optical)?

5. The pioneer player also plays DVD Audio and SACD. is it important to support those formats anymore? or should I rather go HDDVD?
Welcome,
Since you have a ton of ?'s I numbered out for you for ease of answer.

1.&2. The 360 Itself does not Upconvert SD DVD also the 360's Player (not the Addon) has been critisized for it's poor play back as well. The Add on however, plays back SD DVDs Upconverted to 1080p via VGA Cable (which you stated you have).

3. That's a tough one sound output is really subjective to ones audio setup.

4. The 360 and Add on will support DTS (Unsure about ES but don't see it being a problem of it supporting it to some degree) on SD DVDs.

5. I'm unsure as to what support SACD has in the HD DVD realm but since it's a Sony format I fear it will have little support (in the HD DVD area) DVD-A will work great via HD DVD I believe the support is there since HD DVD is supported by the DVD Forum.

As a sidenote Since you own a PS3 I would recommend waiting for the March Update which states that the DVD Playback will FINALLY be upconverted. You may want to see if it's worth a darn before jumping in to more hardware.

Good luck,
Ohgami
Old 03-08-2007, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohgami View Post
1.&2. The 360 Itself does not Upconvert SD DVD also the 360's Player (not the Addon) has been critisized for it's poor play back as well. The Add on however, plays back SD DVDs Upconverted to 1080p via VGA Cable (which you stated you have).
No! The add-on is just a drive to read the HD-DVDs. It does NOT do the upconverting. You've been able to upconvert since the very first update to the 360. In order to display SD-DVDs higher that 480p, you have to use a VGA cable.

Which btw, looks fantastic. I was watching the new Stargate Atlantis boxset last night and it looks just awesome.
Old 03-08-2007, 03:08 PM

Thank you guys for your help

It seems to me that HD DVD looks like a good choice.I have to admit that i'm happy with the DVD playback quality that X360 offers but as all of u know the noise kind a bugs me once in a while.
I was looking @ HD-A2 and it seems like a very solid product. from the reviews it is said to have a very good SD and HD playback. however the price difference between this beast and 360 add on is a good $400CND (599-199) and i'm not sure it is worth investing on this format now (i do buy alot of blu-ray discs--and I dont mean that HD DVD is bad).
if DTS comes to X360 i'll be satisfied. I have always preferred DTS over dolby and was disappointed when I heard that HD-A2 doesnt downconvert to DTS @ 1.6 unlike HD-A1/HD-XA1.
Thank you all for your help. I think i'll get the HD DVD add on.

PS: does the HDDVD drive sound as loud as the X360's DVD drive?
Old 03-08-2007, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustoMan View Post
No! The add-on is just a drive to read the HD-DVDs. It does NOT do the upconverting. You've been able to upconvert since the very first update to the 360. In order to display SD-DVDs higher that 480p, you have to use a VGA cable.
Thank you for that correction.
Old 03-09-2007, 10:41 AM

I have a Samsung upconverting DVD player which I never watch DVDs on because I use the add-on instead.

My sound system has an opitcal in and no HDMI in so the sound from the Xbox is about as good as I can make use of right now anyway. I am not an audiophile, so I doubt I would notice much difference anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wakashizuma View Post
PS: does the HDDVD drive sound as loud as the X360's DVD drive?
No, it makes less noise
Old 03-10-2007, 10:44 PM

That's quite a question. I have the 360 add 0n and just puchased a toshiba XA1. (It was open box for $299!!!) I bought the XA1 because the 360 was so loud I was more concerned with what was happening in my rack than what was on the screen. I have an old lifestyle 12 Bose system that will only accept coaxial digital input. The picture on both is identical. If your rack is in a separate room save your money and go for the add on. If not, try thr Toshiba.
Old 03-13-2007, 12:05 AM

Thank you guys for all your help.
I Think HD add on is the best for now.
It gives me the ability of playing HD DVD which is good enough and I can also use it for SDDVD so it doesnt kill my drive's lense.
By the way how does the SD upconversion quality fare against good upconverting DVD players?does it do a good job?