Does MS offer an extended warranty for the HD DVD drive? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 03-06-2007, 01:32 PM

Default Does MS offer an extended warranty for the HD DVD drive?

I have an extended warranty on my 360 unit iteself, which I have used 3 times so far.

Falures with the HD-DVD seem far less common, but with building up a library of HD-DVD titles, and planning a purchase of a new TV to show off the High Def goodness on a larger scale, I'm worried it will crap out on me.

Anyone know of a warranty for it?
Old 03-06-2007, 09:57 PM

Not that I know of, haven't really heard of the HD-DVD add-on drive dying for 360 users.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:14 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
I have an extended warranty on my 360 unit iteself, which I have used 3 times so far.

Falures with the HD-DVD seem far less common, but with building up a library of HD-DVD titles, and planning a purchase of a new TV to show off the High Def goodness on a larger scale, I'm worried it will crap out on me.

Anyone know of a warranty for it?
I have not heard of one, but then again I don't think many people see it as a "major" purchase. I haven't seen that many failures with the add on, what you could do is call Microsoft to see, but with the cost of the add on so low the cost of the extended might not be worth it to get a refurb might as well just save and have a "pot" of just in case money......
Old 03-07-2007, 12:15 AM

There isn't, but most stores offer one. The trick is don't register until you have a problem with it. Then you get a year warranty after the first problem.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iggytx View Post
There isn't, but most stores offer one. The trick is don't register until you have a problem with it. Then you get a year warranty after the first problem.
I believe the warranty is based from the date of your purchase, not from when you register. The date of purchase is transmitted from the retailer to Microsoft, to avoid people pulling a "register when needed" as you suggested.
Old 03-11-2007, 01:17 AM

The vendor usually asks for your proof of purchase, aka you reciept, that is start date of your new warranty.
Old 03-11-2007, 04:53 AM

Mine crapped out on me. It stopped reading HD-DVDs but would still play standard dvds just fine. I had to send it to Microsoft and am currently waiting on the replacement. They asked me when I purchased it, but did not require proof.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jared View Post
Mine crapped out on me. It stopped reading HD-DVDs but would still play standard dvds just fine. I had to send it to Microsoft and am currently waiting on the replacement. They asked me when I purchased it, but did not require proof.
Probably because the add on was just released late last year.
Old 03-11-2007, 12:41 PM

mine would play some discs and wouldn't play others after about a month, although i think it was bum from the start because my new one sounds and just runs all around better than the first one ever did.

i bought the original from amazon,

so i just bought a new one from walmart and returned the broken one with the new receipt and got my money back

i didnt want to wait for microsofts mailing thing to happen
Old 03-12-2007, 01:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timbobarry View Post
Probably because the add on was just released late last year.
Yeah, I assumed the same. I bought it on December 8 and it comes with a 90-day warranty. When I first contacted Microsoft about the problem, that warranty was less than 2 weeks away from expiring. But they didn't hassle me about it or ask for a copy of the receipt. As far as I know, the drive hadn't been registered with them prior to this, and they took the serial number from me at that point. So I assume it was registered on that date, and my 90 days would begin from that point on.