360 and PS3 IP address question (also in PS3 board) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-03-2008, 07:07 PM

Default 360 and PS3 IP address question (also in PS3 board)

I posted this same question in the PS3 board... sorry for the repeat.

Both systems are connected to the same router through a hard line (NOT wireless), but in order to get NAT disabled and UPnP settings correct without permanently putting my PC in danger, I have to put the systems in the DMZ slot.

Problem is, only one IP address can be input into the DMZ on my router (Belkin Wireless G Router). Is it okay to have both the 360 and the PS3 with the same static IP address? It seems like it should be fine, but I do use remote connect with my PS3 and sometimes they'd both be online at the same time.

Any other solutions, or anything I'm clearly doing wrong? All this networking stuff is entirely learned by my own trial-and-error.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:06 AM

It'll be fine unless both are on then youll get the IP conflict. Tryout port forwarding. Get the 2 ports that Live uses and put in the IP address of your 360. I have PS3 but I dont use it for online gaming so I dont have the switch customized for PS3 optimization.
Old 02-05-2008, 12:45 PM

If your router has upnp, just enable it. Should work fine leaving the consoles dhcp.

If you are worried about the latest reports that upnp may be used to attack networks wirelessly, use port triggering. This will allow your consoles to dynamically open ports on your router and allow incoming traffic as well.

Thos two options would allow you to have your consoles on DHCP. If you rather use static ip's, then use port forwarding.