Upgrade on XBOX HD DVD add on? - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-02-2008, 02:47 PM
Junior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 5
Default Upgrade on XBOX HD DVD add on?

Does anybody know if there wil be a upgrade to show 1080p from the add on to the 360 or is it a hardware thing that makes it impossible?

If this question has been asked please refer me to the thread.

I am personally a XBOX 360 fan but i have both (PS3) and am a Blu Ray bbblu hopefull. I think the format war is over but since they give away 5 HD DVD's for anybody who has bought the add on in Nov-Des `07 here in Norway i want to know if i can get full value of HD DVD experience.

Hope my english isnt to bad and that i have made myself understood......
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-02-2008, 03:12 PM
Pouyan's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 788
Default

I thought if it was connected through hdmi it would be shown in 1080p
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-02-2008, 03:18 PM
LastSonOfKrypton's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,229
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pouyan View Post
I thought if it was connected through hdmi it would be shown in 1080p
You thought correct. I think the OP is using component cables. 1080p can only be achieved through HDMI & VGA.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-02-2008, 03:56 PM
Ron Mexico's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 161
Default

If that's the case, why does my 360 give me that option over component? I have a projector that does 1080i, but I have selected the 1080p option just to see.

I actually think using my projector at 1080i on component looks better than using VGA cables. I dunno ...
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-02-2008, 04:54 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
If that's the case, why does my 360 give me that option over component? I have a projector that does 1080i, but I have selected the 1080p option just to see.

I actually think using my projector at 1080i on component looks better than using VGA cables. I dunno ...
The 360 gives you that option because it will play games back at 1080p over component with that selected. It won't play 1080p HD DVD over anything besides VGA & HDMI (somebody correct me if I am wrong but I believe it's due to HD DVD copy protection requirements).
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-02-2008, 06:16 PM
Ron Mexico's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmncwj View Post
The 360 gives you that option because it will play games back at 1080p over component with that selected. It won't play 1080p HD DVD over anything besides VGA & HDMI (somebody correct me if I am wrong but I believe it's due to HD DVD copy protection requirements).
The HDCP requirement ... I see. Didn't realize that.

Another question then ... is there a real difference between 1080i and 1080p? I know I will be eventually buying an HDTV with 1080p, but it is really worth it?
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-02-2008, 06:59 PM
movieman742's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 164
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
The HDCP requirement ... I see. Didn't realize that.

Another question then ... is there a real difference between 1080i and 1080p? I know I will be eventually buying an HDTV with 1080p, but it is really worth it?
Anything smaller than 30-40" you can't really tell with the naked eye. If you're a huge entertainment system person you might as well get the 1080p though.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-02-2008, 09:14 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 6
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Mexico View Post
The HDCP requirement ... I see. Didn't realize that.

Another question then ... is there a real difference between 1080i and 1080p? I know I will be eventually buying an HDTV with 1080p, but it is really worth it?
From my understanding (and there's a lot of debate it seems about this) if you are sitting farther back than ~6.5' with a 50" TV you won't be able to see the difference between 720p and 1080p.

You mentioned you currently had a projector, now depending on the native resolution (if it's actually 1920x1080 or 1280x720), how big it the display is and how far back you're sitting would point towards if you'd be able to tell the difference. Now if your projector really is 1920x1080 I'm not sure if you'd really be able to tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p (anybody?).
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-03-2008, 12:19 AM
Ron Mexico's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 161
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgmncwj View Post
From my understanding (and there's a lot of debate it seems about this) if you are sitting farther back than ~6.5' with a 50" TV you won't be able to see the difference between 720p and 1080p.

You mentioned you currently had a projector, now depending on the native resolution (if it's actually 1920x1080 or 1280x720), how big it the display is and how far back you're sitting would point towards if you'd be able to tell the difference. Now if your projector really is 1920x1080 I'm not sure if you'd really be able to tell the difference between 1080i and 1080p (anybody?).
I have a ViewSonic PJ501. It can display up to 300" and I usually run it at 10 to 12 feet. It has two settings - 1035i and 1080i on component. I haven't tried it at the lower resolutions. I set my PS3 and 360 to 1080i and dang - both look so different. I just ordered a VGA extension and I will be running the 360 off that one.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Walmart to add DVD fixtures keep aisles clean, add product towergrove High Definition Smackdown 0 01-04-2010 08:56 PM
Any way to upgrade your Xbox? Canto HD DVD and Video Game Consoles 5 07-11-2009 06:10 AM
Xbox 360 - Memory Upgrade Program hdinred Game Room 11 10-14-2008 08:18 AM
Best budget HDMI upgrade receiver for 2.30 firmware upgrade Th7Dude Blu-ray and Video Game Consoles 22 04-13-2008 07:51 PM
How To Watch HD DVD Movies On Your PC Using The XBox 360 HD DVD Add-On MidnightWatcher HD DVD Software General Discussion 6 12-17-2007 05:28 PM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off