Xbox 360 5.1... what am I doing wrong? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-01-2008, 05:14 AM

Question Xbox 360 5.1... what am I doing wrong?

Ok, so I just got this new Home Theater in a Box deal with speakers that are crappy compared to the ones built into my TV... but that's not the reason I'm here.

Anyway, I hooked my PS3 up with HDMI only and it gets the 5.1 from the movies I've put in no problem. They sound pretty good for being crappy speakers.

I switch over to my Xbox 360 Pro (non-HDMI version) with HD DVD add-on... no 5.1. What the f***? Ok, I went into the Xbox settings and switched it from Dolby Surround to Dolby 5.1. Still no 5.1, although, the Xbox MENUS show up as 5.1, but the HD DVDs do not.

I checked all the movies I tried and they all have "TrueHD" and "Dolby Digital Plus 5.1". Well, my new receiver does "Dolby Digital" but it doesn't mention the "Plus" anywhere... is my receiver just too crappy for me to get 5.1 from my HD DVDs or does the 360 not do 5.1 very well or am I doing something wrong?
Old 02-01-2008, 07:13 AM

i was freakin out about the same thing but i stumbled upon the solutino completely by accident, its different for hd dvd's on the 360 than for games, press the display button on the 360 remote and go to digital audio output and set it either to dolby digital or i have mine set to DTS. What the 360 does is decode whatever track you select in the movie and then re-encodes it at max bitrate of whichever format you choose, thats why DTS is better cause its 1.5 Mbps instead of the 640 Kbps that DD does. hope that helps

Soup
Old 02-01-2008, 07:23 AM

Whether you have it set for DD or DTS you still should get 5.1 from the HD DVDs when you have a 5.1 track selected.
Sound quality is basically the same whether you pick DD or DTS. DTS being at 1.5mbs and DD being at 640kbs doesn't mean DTS is better. DD is a more efficient encoding format. Just like with audio a 128kbs WMA file sounds as good or better than a 320kbs mp3 file.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:26 AM

i totally understand that, the problem is that for hd dvd's it comes defaulted to digital stereo, which is why he isnt getting 5.1. And by the way DTS is a better encoding format than DD, it came out later. So not only is it higher bit rate but its better encoding, though DD+ which is the same 1.5 bit rate as DTS is considerably better than standard DTS becuase its newer, but that why DTS followed up with DTS-HD. But all of this doesnt have anything to do with what the OP wanted, lol, so im gonna stop now.

soup
Old 02-01-2008, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoupRKnowva View Post
i totally understand that, the problem is that for hd dvd's it comes defaulted to digital stereo, which is why he isnt getting 5.1. And by the way DTS is a better encoding format than DD, it came out later. So not only is it higher bit rate but its better encoding, though DD+ which is the same 1.5 bit rate as DTS is considerably better than standard DTS becuase its newer, but that why DTS followed up with DTS-HD. But all of this doesnt have anything to do with what the OP wanted, lol, so im gonna stop now.

soup

That can be debated since in double blind tests people can't pick out one format over the other when comparing DD to DTS. But those arguements were done a long time ago. When they compared max bitrate DD to max bitrate DTS they sounded the same. The difference occurs when you go below max bitrate. .
Old 02-01-2008, 01:01 PM

this may be a silly question, but do you have the optical cable plugged in or the analog?
Old 02-01-2008, 02:53 PM

Quote:
i was freakin out about the same thing but i stumbled upon the solutino completely by accident, its different for hd dvd's on the 360 than for games, press the display button on the 360 remote and go to digital audio output and set it either to dolby digital or i have mine set to DTS. What the 360 does is decode whatever track you select in the movie and then re-encodes it at max bitrate of whichever format you choose, thats why DTS is better cause its 1.5 Mbps instead of the 640 Kbps that DD does. hope that helps
Beautiful! That fixed my problem right away! Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slove View Post
this may be a silly question, but do you have the optical cable plugged in or the analog?
Hah, yeah. Double checked that before I posted. Worth asking though, I'm sure some people might forget.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronwt View Post
Whether you have it set for DD or DTS you still should get 5.1 from the HD DVDs when you have a 5.1 track selected.
Sound quality is basically the same whether you pick DD or DTS. DTS being at 1.5mbs and DD being at 640kbs doesn't mean DTS is better. DD is a more efficient encoding format. Just like with audio a 128kbs WMA file sounds as good or better than a 320kbs mp3 file.
I actually set mine to DTS to start with and it sounded ok, but when I moved it to Dolby Digital 5.1 it sounded far better. So I think I'll have to agree that DD is a better way to go. At least from the 360.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:59 PM

not a problem, im just happy i found the solution for myself as well....so you think the DD sounds better huh? must have something to do with the way the 360 encodes the DTS audio, ill have to check it out...

soup
Old 02-01-2008, 03:03 PM

Quote:
not a problem, im just happy i found the solution for myself as well....so you think the DD sounds better huh? must have something to do with the way the 360 encodes the DTS audio, ill have to check it out...

soup
Well, it could also have something to do with my Receiver too. It decodes both Dolby Digital and DTS, so in reality it shouldn't matter, but who knows... it's a fairly cheap one... part of a $400 HTiB.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:02 PM
Formerly wildturkishdude

You have to set the audio settings for the add-on once the add-on is on and working. I believe its a option called "digital audio" where you get to chose between DD 5.1, DD Stereo and DTS.