What do you prefer for gaming? LCD or Plasma? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-28-2008, 01:11 PM

Default What do you prefer for gaming? LCD or Plasma?

Ive used a plasma for about a year now and have really no complaints. I do hear and see a lot of opinions on LCD vs. Plasma, most have to do with burn in on plasmas. Im extremely careful with my plasma, if I leave the room for any length of time I switch inputs to my cable or just turn the TV off. Besides, most have burn in protection and so far Ive not experienced anything like this.

so as far as performance and visual quality what do you guys prefer? would an 1080p LCD with 120hz and 4ms response be superior to a 1080p plasma in these regaurds??
Old 01-28-2008, 03:12 PM

I've heard complaints about video lag on plasma. But other than that I can't say there is anything wrong with it. Owning an LCD aquos has really enhanced my gaming experience although it's only 60hz with 4ms response time. The image is crisp and clear and the colors are great. I don't think I'll be switching anytime soon.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1ipmode View Post
I've heard complaints about video lag on plasma. But other than that I can't say there is anything wrong with it. Owning an LCD aquos has really enhanced my gaming experience although it's only 60hz with 4ms response time. The image is crisp and clear and the colors are great. I don't think I'll be switching anytime soon.
I have a friend that has an LCD, I may have to go to his place to see what (if any) differences are in video lag. I personally havnt played on an LCD so I dont know what to compare it to.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:44 PM

I use a plasma & video lag is not an issue. Ever wonder why Plasma don't have response times? Cuz they're instant. LCDs have 4ms 8ms....and on. The human eye can see anything over 2ms. Plasmas are far better for video games unless you like the artificial colors an LCD provides.
Old 01-28-2008, 03:57 PM

What I can't understand is why LCD's are winning the HDTV war. From what I have seen and read, Plasma's have a much better picture.
Old 01-28-2008, 04:47 PM

That's because plasmas still have the burn-in stigma. Up until a year or two ago gaming on almost any plasma caused burn-in. And most people have kids and or game systems so they have been told time and time again not to buy plasma's because of burn-in. Is it still a problem? On a lot of plasmas yes it is. Most however have protection and when you see burn in you can often switch on something with much more movement and it goes away after a bit. On the more expensive plasma's (Read:Pioneer Kuro) This is not really an issue at all.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LastSonOfKrypton View Post
I use a plasma & video lag is not an issue. Ever wonder why Plasma don't have response times? Cuz they're instant. LCDs have 4ms 8ms....and on. The human eye can see anything over 2ms. Plasmas are far better for video games unless you like the artificial colors an LCD provides.
Or if you want to burn a HUD right to the screen on a Plasma. I have seen this happen more than once and on Plasma sets purchased within the past year.

Coaler beat me to the post, but yes what he said is true. With an LCD you don't have to worry about problems with the image and I guess the new 120hz screens are eliminating the motion blur. On a Plasma you may have to spend more for the next model up to protect from burn-in. Image retention (IR) is a problem that existed for so long I don't know why it wasn't fixed sooner.

Anyway, I guess for gaming go with LCD because they can be found cheaper.
Old 01-28-2008, 05:39 PM

720p PROJECTOR FTW!

125" display
Old 01-29-2008, 12:12 AM

I much prefer LCD, being the owner of a Samsung 40 inch.

The only Plasmas that every WOWED me are from Pioneer.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:07 PM

For gaming only, I'd take (and do) LCD.

For just watching tv or movies, plasma.....unless it's a really bright room, then LCD.

Panasonic is known for great plasmas. The 42 inch model is has a great PQ.