XBOX 360 Circular Scratching? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-16-2008, 10:17 PM

Default XBOX 360 Circular Scratching?

A buddy of mine picked up a 360 back in June before the price drop and HDMI models were released and the system and it's been leaving circular scratches on his games. They're tiny scratches that you almsot have to look for, but they're making the games unplayable.

We know we're not moving/bumping the system, on or off, with the disc inside and we even tested a music CD after the games, and it still made a scratch. So, has anyone else experienced this and tried to send the unit back to Microsoft for repairs and if so, how much was it?
Old 01-16-2008, 10:24 PM

Should still be in warranty, no? Call MS and ask them. They should replace the drive for free.
Old 01-16-2008, 11:53 PM

Microsoft's answer for this, if I recall correctly, is "Go to hell!" They got sued over it in Europe, I don't remember what if any the outcome was, but they tried to blame people for it, and not their drives.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by simpspin View Post
A buddy of mine picked up a 360 back in June before the price drop and HDMI models were released and the system and it's been leaving circular scratches on his games. They're tiny scratches that you almsot have to look for, but they're making the games unplayable.

We know we're not moving/bumping the system, on or off, with the disc inside and we even tested a music CD after the games, and it still made a scratch. So, has anyone else experienced this and tried to send the unit back to Microsoft for repairs and if so, how much was it?
I just got my repair from this they didn't charge me. I bought my system over a year ago but they did extend my warranty because earlier i had RROD.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:33 PM

I have this same scratching issue.

My unit is out of warranty but I will call them tonight to see what I can do.

I will let you guys know.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:57 PM

is your system laid down flat or standing up. i've heard of people having this problem with their system standing up, but not laid down flat. just a theory.
Old 01-17-2008, 03:19 PM

I have it laying flat.

I taked to this guy at EB and he said that sometimes if you have it near a stereo system if will case the disc to bum or something and it would cause the lens to scratch the disc.

I made sure with the latest game I got that I did not turn the stereo on, or even turn the TV on that loud. Still scratched.

This in conjunction with my freezing games will lead to a call to xbox tonight.

4th xbox 360...here I come.
Old 01-18-2008, 12:22 PM

that sucks man. do you have the microsoft warranty? if so, after a while don't they just give you one if you have a lemon?

if you are buying a new one, buy it from best buy and get their replacement warranty. you just go to the store and replace the unit in store. better to do it this way than deal with microsoft's warranty and wait time.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:41 PM

Default circular scratches

My kids (who are actually very careful with their games) have had the problem of circular scratches as well. It's a real pisser when you buy them a great game for Christmas and it stops working after two weeks. I have had our console replaced by xbox twice, plus guitar replaced for rock band, and also the drums set had to be replaced, and now the peddle to the drums set broke. What a pain!!! It seems I will not get a whole lot of help from Microsoft. (although I can send them an email or call) I am wondering if their are any things I can do to the scratched discs. There is a game place by my house that has a "scratch remover machine." Does that work for the circular scratches? My kids have resorted to renting games from Block Buster, at least that way, I am not throwing $60 down the drain. Maybe having Blockbuster join in a class action suit would be helpful. They are obviously losing money too. There have been plenty of times I have rented games from them that did not work, and when I looked at the disc, it had circular scratches.
Old 01-02-2009, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by acwkdw View Post
I am wondering if their are any things I can do to the scratched discs. There is a game place by my house that has a "scratch remover machine." Does that work for the circular scratches?
I don't see why something like a Disc Dr. wouldn't work. What they actually are doing is removing a very thin layer of the coating on the bottom of the disc, which in theory would remove the scratch.

I don't think anyone has brough this up, but the circular scratching is often caused by either moving or bumping a 360 while the disc is spinning.