vga cables and component cables - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-21-2007, 04:45 PM

Default vga cables and component cables

quick quest for you guys. i hear alot of talk about diff comp cables. does it really make a diff? i was thinking monster or that other brand that best buy carries for $75. second quest is that i have a 61" dlp samsung tv that only supports 1081i(its almost 3 years old) if i buy vga cables will my xbox upconvert dvds like my lg player does to 1081i? my lg player also has a built in hd tuner and kicks ass but can't read copied media too much. thanks in advance.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:44 AM

As you mentioned the VGA cable will upscale the picture to 1080p for HD DVDs, I know it does some upscaling for SD DVDs but I'm not sure how much. At the moment I'm using Monster Component Cables with optical sound the picture using these are amazing.

Component wont upscale SD DVDs and will only take HD DVDs to 1080i

Most people would say your wasting your money buying these Monster cables and tell you the truth I was one of them, but compared to the Official Microsoft Component cables, these leads leave those for dust.

I bought the cables as I had just bought my HD DVD add-on and I heard people talking about these cables, I was a bit sceptical with this, but took a chance and I'm so glad I did, as my HD DVDs look fantasic.

I use to play Gears of War, using the soft option in the display section, as vibrant was really harsh on the eyes as the colour just looked out of place (got a Philips PF9830 HDTV) but when I bought the Monster cables all those colours just seemed to go in the right place.

Monster Component cable review

I bought the Component with the optical cable all on one lead, which they do, as it's cheaper if you've got optical input on your surround sound processor/reciever.

Last edited by Realtime; 02-23-2007 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-23-2007, 03:04 PM

Wow, that review sold me on the Monster cables.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willpooted View Post
Wow, that review sold me on the Monster cables.
Give us your view when you get your Monster cables
Old 03-02-2007, 03:57 PM

sounds good i've placed my order and also ordered vga cables for the hell of it. ill post my results
Old 03-02-2007, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamps View Post
sounds good i've placed my order and also ordered vga cables for the hell of it. ill post my results
Yes please. Thinking about getting the vga cables myself.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:09 PM

i have a 40" samsung 1080P LCD TV. I just bought the VGA cable and it made my picture look washed out and fuzzy. Plus it takes away all of the settings for your tv so you cant tweak the picture. Microsoft claims 1080p thru this cable but even the package only says 720p. I took mine back because the standard component cables looked twice as nice. any one else had this problem.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggressivemx View Post
i have a 40" samsung 1080P LCD TV. I just bought the VGA cable and it made my picture look washed out and fuzzy. Plus it takes away all of the settings for your tv so you cant tweak the picture. Microsoft claims 1080p thru this cable but even the package only says 720p. I took mine back because the standard component cables looked twice as nice. any one else had this problem.
I have a Samsung LNS4095D and have found the difference to be a matter of preference. The VGA connection provides a straight 1920x1080 signal (no interlacing) but limits the color spectrum slightly. I can understand "washed out" if you like to have the color kicked up, but not fuzzy.

The component allows the full color spectrum but the HD DVDs (not the games) are limited to 1080i and the DVDs can't be upconverted. I prefer the extra clarity of the VGA connection to the extra color of the component... but it's subjective.
Old 03-06-2007, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aggressivemx View Post
Plus it takes away all of the settings for your tv so you cant tweak the picture.
That's dependent on the model of your TV. My Samsung doesn't either, but I heard other users with different brands are able to adjust color, contrast settings.
Old 03-07-2007, 12:19 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by willpooted View Post
That's dependent on the model of your TV. My Samsung doesn't either, but I heard other users with different brands are able to adjust color, contrast settings.
You should be able to adjust color thought the advanced color settings for Samsung....I have an HLS hooked up through VGA and have not noticed the washed out look everyone speaks of. I did adjust some (Service Menu) settings prior to hook up, but since then everything has looked great........

I also concur though on the adjustment of setting its all Dependant of your TV, but it does offer 1080p for the 360