Xbox 360 Arcade question - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-04-2008, 07:43 PM

Default Xbox 360 Arcade question

Hey guys,

I'm more of a casual gamer, and I'm sure this question has an obvious answer...

If you add a hard drive to the Xbox 360 Arcade edition, does it then allow you to use Xbox games? The Microsoft page does just says "no" to backwards compatibility, and I thought that was done via software?

The reason I ask... when I bought my 360, a buddy who worked at BB convinced me to drop fifty bucks on the replacement plan. Well, now I'm getting dirty disc errors on immaculately clean discs, so I called in the replacement. I figured I'd just get a replacement console, but I'm actually getting a gift card for my original purchase + tax, so about $440... and Best Buy lets you keep your hard drive, so you don't lose your save games and such... so the frugal person in me says "keep your hard drive, buy the Arcade edition and spend $30 on the clone component cable, and have about a hundred bucks or so left over for games or movies."

Hope some of the gurus here can help me out....

Thanks,

Jim
Old 01-04-2008, 08:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Bandit View Post
Hey guys,

I'm more of a casual gamer, and I'm sure this question has an obvious answer...

If you add a hard drive to the Xbox 360 Arcade edition, does it then allow you to use Xbox games? The Microsoft page does just says "no" to backwards compatibility, and I thought that was done via software?

Hope some of the gurus here can help me out....

Thanks,

Jim
Yes, the 360 arcade is the same as the 360, it just doesn't have the hard drive and comes with a memory card with 5 arcade games on it. Also, the emulation for original xbox games is done by software, but the software has to be saved, and the memory card isn't big enough to store the emulator, but with a hard drive it will be fine. Just pop in an original xbox game, click "yes, update game" and you will have the latest original xbox emulator.
Old 01-04-2008, 11:23 PM

i'd return it, get that gift card then sell or trade it here on the forums and get an xbox 360 elite. you get 120gb hd, hdmi with cable included, 2 free games and all the extras. i've seen a few people selling their xbox 360's on here lately so look around and see if anyone will trade you theirs or even buy the gift card from you. you might lose a few dollars if you sell the gift card but at least you're getting cash and not credit or you could use the credit instead and just get a new 360 from best buy too so it's up to you. I recommend the elite though as the bigger hd, black wireless controller, black look and all and it's sweeet.
Old 01-05-2008, 12:02 AM

Thanks for the info guys...

Intox -- the Elite is tempting, but I don't use up the 20gb hard drive now, and I'd have to get a new receiver to really have HDMI on the xbox make any sense. I'm pretty happy with the visual quality via component, and based on the drive starting to act funky after a year and a half of moderate use, I think a new out-of-the-box system is my best bet.

Looks like it's the Arcade and the component cable for me, along with Burnout Paradise and maybe College Hoops 2k8.

Thanks again guys...

Jim
Old 01-05-2008, 02:20 AM

eh i'd even still get the premium 20gb 360 bundle with 2 free games. for about an extra $70+tax you get a 20gb (about 14gb more or less really though), wireless controller, hdmi, forza 2&marvel ultimate alliance (2 games free) and some other extras so i'd get that instead of getting the arcade bundle. if you'll be using it to play games online, download movies, trailers, music videos and all those extras then the 20gb bundle is the way to go for what you're looking to get out the box.