HD Video Stream to XBOX 360?? Experts Only! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-02-2008, 12:00 PM

Default HD Video Stream to XBOX 360?? Experts Only!

I have a question.

There is a video file "A" sitting on computer "B", and the Media Center is setup on computer "C"...following???

Computer "B" is wired...computer "c" is wireless....following??

The 360 connects through computer "c" (wireless) and points to a file on computer "B" (wired).

Will this video "lag"??

Essentially the file is being transferred through the wried connection, but goign through a wireless media center.

Thanks
Old 01-02-2008, 01:09 PM

If you are only using Wireless-G, the video will lag. You can also do a performance test on the Xbox. Open media center on the xbox, goto Tasks, then 'Tune Network'. Do the perfomance test and show a bar graph. The graph will show quality performance for Regular TV and HD video streaming. I've never been able to get HD performance on wireless-g even though my xbox is 10 feet away from the router.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:25 PM

Thanks for your help.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:36 PM

I recommend getting a big portable USB drive and just keeping it next to the xbox if possible.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:45 PM

I actually have a media center setup similar to what you are asking about. The most important thing you can do for your media center extender/360 is to have the media center PC/server wired to your router/switch. If your media center is not wired it will increase the lag on your extender/360 substantially. The media center being wireless is relatively irrelevant if your signal strength is good and you are using a wireless G router.

If the host PC running the media center software is wired directly to the main networking switch/router it will allow the media center to more quickly gather media from other PC's or network shares and prepare it for the extender/360. If the media center pc is wireless all the multiple processes on it will take an exponential amount of time more to calculate and process requests for the extender.

I should note my setup so you can better understand.

computer A: media center pc running Vista with HDTV tuner card. Wired directly to the router with 100 mb ethernet line to the router.

computer B: actually a mall network attached drive using 100 mb ethernet line to the router. I store most of my media to this drive so I do not always have to have the media center on for the rest of my pc's.

Exntender A: xbox/360 wired directly using 100mb only because a Brick wall killed my signal in my current setup but when I could use wireless, performance was fine.

The media center pc pulls from my network attached drive and streams the data to the 360 and it works flawlessly long as computer A and B are not wireless. Computer B can most likely use wireless but i would advise against that but computer A should not be wireless

Last edited by vektsilver; 01-02-2008 at 02:00 PM.
Old 01-02-2008, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vektsilver View Post
I actually have a media center setup similar to what you are asking about. The most important thing you can do for your media center extender/360 is to have the media center PC/server wired to your router/switch. If your media center is not wired it will increase the lag on your extender/360 substantially. The media center being wireless is relatively irrelevant if your signal strength is good and you are using a wireless G router.

If the host PC running the media center software is wired directly to the main networking switch/router it will allow the media center to more quickly gather media from other PC's or network shares and prepare it for the extender/360. If the media center pc is wireless all the multiple processes on it will take an exponential amount of time more to calculate and process requests for the extender.

I should note my setup so you can better understand.

computer A: media center pc running Vista with HDTV tuner card. Wired directly to the router with 100 mb ethernet line to the router.

computer B: actually a mall network attached drive using 100 mb ethernet line to the router. I store most of my media to this drive so I do not always have to have the media center on for the rest of my pc's.

Exntender A: xbox/360 wired directly using 100mb only because a Brick wall killed my signal in my current setup but when I could use wireless, performance was fine.

The media center pc pulls from my network attached drive and streams the data to the 360 and it works flawlessly long as computer A and B are not wireless. Computer B can most likely use wireless but i would advise against that but computer A should not be wireless
I've got the same setup on mine pretty much, where all my media is on my very fast media server which is wired to my router, and then transmits wirelessly to my other systems which are used as extenders. The movies I play run pretty seamlessly, though they do pause and buffer up at times, but pretty good nontheless. The 360 system recommended using A/B and not G for movies, but I'm not sure why that would be since A/B tends to be slower.
Old 01-02-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godstar View Post
The 360 system recommended using A/B and not G for movies, but I'm not sure why that would be since A/B tends to be slower.
You mean "A" instead of "B/G". "A" operates on a higher frequency, 5.8 Ghz instead of 2.4 which "B/G" uses and is the same as some cordless phones and microwaves and makes it more susceptible to interference.

You can also stream hi-def WMA files using WMP11 instead of Media Center which will free up some CPU and networking cycles.
Old 01-02-2008, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustoMan View Post
You mean "A" instead of "B/G". "A" operates on a higher frequency, 5.8 Ghz instead of 2.4 which "B/G" uses and is the same as some cordless phones and microwaves and makes it more susceptible to interference.
That's right, I knew I had something off with that when I wrote it. I didn't realize that B/G had those issues, I seem to remember it had other issues but can't remember what it was off the top of my head (though it is much faster than A).

Quote:
You can also stream hi-def WMA files using WMP11 instead of Media Center which will free up some CPU and networking cycles.
I don't use windows media center. I tried it out and it was way, way, to laggy. I'd rather just use the folder navigator and select the text icons I want. When I do play a movie off my PC, is it upconverting it? Seems to be the case.
Old 01-02-2008, 10:41 PM

Quote:
That's right, I knew I had something off with that when I wrote it. I didn't realize that B/G had those issues, I seem to remember it had other issues but can't remember what it was off the top of my head (though it is much faster than A).
Wireless G and A are the same speed. I think it's something like 56Mbps, but neither comes close to that in the real world.
Quote:
I don't use windows media center. I tried it out and it was way, way, to laggy. I'd rather just use the folder navigator and select the text icons I want. When I do play a movie off my PC, is it upconverting it? Seems to be the case.
It probably is unless the video file is the same resolution as your HDTV.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:14 AM

Quote:
I don't think it upconverts streamed files - I was watching a 720x480 DivX file the other day (with my 360 set to 1080i output) and it was shown in its original resolution with letter & pillar boxing.