Is this surround system any good? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-27-2007, 05:31 PM

Default Is this surround system any good?

I was looking at getting this surround system for my Xbox 360 HD DVD Add-On but I wanted to know if it was any good? It says 5.1 surround sound but does it do TrueHD 5.1 or atleast Dolby-Digital Plus 5.1? If someone could please read over the description and let me know I would appreciate it?

Thanks in advance, here's the link

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/produ...uct_id=5280864

EDIT: I'm sorry, I thought the other thread I made for this topic didn't go through but I just found it, please direct replies to my other post.
Old 12-27-2007, 05:36 PM

I wanted the same one, no hdmi input so no high def audio
Old 12-27-2007, 07:46 PM

This Pioneer box is a very basic system. These all in a box systems are better than television speakers, but they can't compare to a quality surround A/V receiver with good speakers. It does do Dolby Digital and DTS so it would be ok for gaming and movies. If you plug a Toshiba HD-A2 into this with an optical connection you will get a DTS signal. True HD is only available on the most expensive amps today. I went to Yamaha's website just for fun to see how much it would cost to get True HD, and the least expensive amp was over $1000. In other words you are not going to get True HD in any low end systems now.
Old 12-28-2007, 01:36 AM
Formerly peterhefer1

I was in best buy tonight and they had a pioneer VSX-9120TXH-K on with full hd support (I.e. dts hd/dd+ etc) for about $799
Old 12-28-2007, 03:22 AM

Correct me if I'm wrong, but recievers with hdmi inputs can produce hi def audio. The player passes the audio as analog through hdmi to the reciever. these can be found for much cheaper than 1000. The ones that cost that much are the recievers that actually do the decoding, as opposed to the player itself. Therefore the player passes the audio as a bitstream to the reciever and the reciever decodes it. At least that's what I understood.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:09 AM

Just an FYI, there are some receivers with HDMI inputs that only switch the video, but ignore the audio information (basic Sony and Denon receivers come to mind). Also, with the receivers that have built-in decoding of Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby TrueHD, and DTS HD Master Audio, you need an HD DVD or Blu-ray player capable of sending out the audio information as bitstream. Of current generation models that would be the Toshiba HDA35, Pioneer Elite BDP95FD, and Sony BDPS500.

As far as the linked sound system goes, I guess for the money it would be decent. I mean you would be getting surround sound and it's not Coby or Audiovox or something really wretched. But you are really just getting loud tv with that. The speakers each have just one driver, rather than separate woofers and tweeters, so it have rather poor frequency response. Most likely harsh high frequencies, muddled midbass, and a lack of real depth in the low bass region. Of course, the same could be said so most home-theater-in-a-box systems. Again, for the money this is probably decent, but if you have the funds to go up to a HTiB system from Yamaha or Onkyo, it would be a more worthwhile investment. Buying a standalone receiver and a speaker package from a company like Polk Audio, Klipsch or Energy/Mirage would yield even better results.
Old 12-30-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireshoes View Post
there are some receivers with HDMI inputs that only switch the video, but ignore the audio information
this is true, unfortunately, for many less expensive receivers with HDMI 1.2 or lower spec inputs.

Quote:
Buying a standalone receiver and a speaker package from a company like Polk Audio, Klipsch or Energy/Mirage would yield even better results.
the quality of Energy speakers have dipped since Klipsch purchased the company and now manufacturers product outside of Canada. i would go for Definitive Technology or PSB for mid-range home theatre speakers. in the end, however, your budget and personal experience are the final arbiters on what to purchase.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emacs View Post
the quality of Energy speakers have dipped since Klipsch purchased the company and now manufacturers product outside of Canada. i would go for Definitive Technology or PSB for mid-range home theatre speakers. in the end, however, your budget and personal experience are the final arbiters on what to purchase.
I didn't know Energy had been bought over by Klipsch. It's a pity that another quality local company has been taken over, I have an Energy centre channel that I'm quite pleased with.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ultimate Hellspawn View Post
Correct me if I'm wrong, but recievers with hdmi inputs can produce hi def audio. The player passes the audio as analog through hdmi to the reciever. these can be found for much cheaper than 1000. The ones that cost that much are the recievers that actually do the decoding, as opposed to the player itself. Therefore the player passes the audio as a bitstream to the reciever and the reciever decodes it. At least that's what I understood.
That's correct. I don't believe there's any benefit to having the decoding done in the receiver seeing as it's a digital signal all the way through, either way the receiver ends up with the same raw PCM data.
Old 12-30-2007, 08:59 PM

I haven't noticed any change in packaging or materials used in Energy speakers since the Klipsch purchase. I've sold them for about three years. I know Klipsch can be poorly packed, though I haven't ran into any issues recently.

As far as receiver or player decoding, I have seen mention of the receiver decoding providing improved sound, but I haven't really sat down to do a shootout yet myself. I wouldn't be surprised if there is a difference. The whole "it's all digital" argument doesn't hold much weight with me personally.