True HD with Xbox 360 HD DVD Add On - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-09-2007, 09:27 PM

Default True HD with Xbox 360 HD DVD Add On

I just finished watching Superman Returns on my HD DVD add on for the 360 and I also own a Bose Lifestyle 5.1 system and I could not believe how good it sounded. It was by far the best sounding movie I have ever heard through my system. I have read on posts prior that you need a receiver with an HDMI connection or an Analog 5.1 connections in order to get True HD sound. I have my 360 connected to the Bose via optical cable and i could not imagine how the sound could be any better with an HDMI receiver. I do agree that the 360 Add On handles Dolby Digital Plus horribly right now. MI3 has to be cranked up to 60. I have also read that Microsoft said that you can achieve True HD sound through the Add On, and after listening to Superman Returns I would have to agree. I believe that EVERY HD Movie, Blu ray or HD DVD, should have TRUE HD and a TOP NOTCH TRANSFER. I simply will not spend the money in the future if all movies are not made this way. Can anyone shed some light on my experience?

Samsung 50 Inch DLP TV
Bose Lifestyle System
360 HD DVD Add On
Old 02-09-2007, 10:36 PM

How you get True HD to work on the 360's HD DVD, I didn't believe it have the connections. Did microosft update the 360 to support it?

Just because the movie has it on - doesn't mean that the player supports.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:00 PM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstewarth View Post
How you get True HD to work on the 360's HD DVD, I didn't believe it have the connections. Did microosft update the 360 to support it?

Just because the movie has it on - doesn't mean that the player supports.
It does not output True HD a all, and it will never be able to unless there is an HDMI output added.....The 360 decodes the True HD then converts it to DD no matter what soundtrack is playing (DD, DDTHD, DTS DTSHD, ect...)
Old 02-09-2007, 11:06 PM

Default 360 Add on and True HD

No there has not been an update. However there needs to be one NOW to improve Dolby Digital Plus (The sound most HD movies have). With Hulk, King Kong, MI3, the DD+ just does not have any power through my Bose speakers. With Batman Begins and Superman Returns when I change from DD+ to True HD on the settings all I can tell is that the sound improves dramatically. Another thing I can't understand is that the Mummy Returns sound in DD+ is much better than the others in DD+(Go Figure?). The studios need to give everyone their money's worth and produce all these movies, HD DVD or Bluray, in Dolby True HD.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8 View Post
It does not output True HD a all, and it will never be able to unless there is an HDMI output added.....The 360 decodes the True HD then converts it to DD no matter what soundtrack is playing (DD, DDTHD, DTS DTSHD, ect...)

I understand the limitations of the ADD ON but how do you explain the improvement in sound when switching to True HD in the menu settings? Could there be some enhancements by my Bose System? I just want to understand what is going on.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:59 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstuff View Post
I understand the limitations of the ADD ON but how do you explain the improvement in sound when switching to True HD in the menu settings? Could there be some enhancements by my Bose System? I just want to understand what is going on.
well witht he TrueHD you may hear a "boost" so to speak just because there are different levels in that mix which would account for the difference in sound. I do understand where you are coming from though there IS a difference it is not as dramatic though on some titles.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mstuff View Post
No there has not been an update. However there needs to be one NOW to improve Dolby Digital Plus (The sound most HD movies have). With Hulk, King Kong, MI3, the DD+ just does not have any power through my Bose speakers. With Batman Begins and Superman Returns when I change from DD+ to True HD on the settings all I can tell is that the sound improves dramatically. Another thing I can't understand is that the Mummy Returns sound in DD+ is much better than the others in DD+(Go Figure?). The studios need to give everyone their money's worth and produce all these movies, HD DVD or Bluray, in Dolby True HD.
agreed. i hear the difference too. much louder, much more crisp, and i believe i read that too. about the add on being able to handle it. maybe on avs forums?
Old 02-10-2007, 02:08 AM

I have the same experience as you with superman returns. the true HD on superman returns works just great. I am also wondering why I am able to get it. I do not have the HDMI. I am just using the optical cord. My tv only has DVI.

Jacob
Old 02-10-2007, 02:55 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebatman355 View Post
I have the same experience as you with superman returns. the true HD on superman returns works just great. I am also wondering why I am able to get it. I do not have the HDMI. I am just using the optical cord. My tv only has DVI.

Jacob
You are NOT getting "TRUE" TRUEHD sound. The 360 is just converting the track to DD and outputting it. The sound boot probably can be attributed to the way they mix the different sndtrks.
Old 02-10-2007, 03:49 AM

are you sure about that?
they said that you cann't upscale over componets and yet the HD add on makes the standard dvds look much better then a standard dvd player.

Jacob