Unstable Downloads on Live? - High-Def Digest Forums
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-06-2007, 09:43 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 426
Default Unstable Downloads on Live?

I have serious difficulties downloading content on my XBOX 360: almost every request to start a download fails. That said, once it starts, it'll usually complete but at fluctuating speeds.

My connection is fairly fast, I have no problems connecting to Live for anything else from voice to gaming. What's going on?

The 360 is hooked up to a D-Link DI-624 router, which is hooked up to a Linksys BEFSR41 that is connected to my cable modem. Are there any ports specific to downloading that I should be opening up? The official XBOX support has been atrocious, any help I can get here would be appreciated.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-06-2007, 11:16 PM
DustoMan's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,007
Default

Do you have the latest firmware updates for the D-link and Linksys devices?
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-07-2007, 11:50 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 426
Default

Another quick ?, while I'm here. When using the VGA cable, the image is always zoomed in a little bit (so that the 360's 16:9 widescreen fills up my 16:10 display). Is there any way to correct this from the 360, or is it an issue with my Dell 2407WFP 24" LCD monitor?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustoMan View Post
Do you have the latest firmware updates for the D-link and Linksys devices?
Nope, I'm never updated them before. I'm afraid of screwing up the network...
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-07-2007, 12:05 PM
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 301
Default

I wouldnt upgrade the firmware unless directed to by a support rep from your router company.

Yank the power cord from your 360 and its power supply and leave it so for about 60 seconds. After that give it a shot. Are you directly connected or wireless? Thats going to make a difference.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-07-2007, 03:43 PM
willpooted's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 380
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Headhunter View Post
Another quick ?, while I'm here. When using the VGA cable, the image is always zoomed in a little bit (so that the 360's 16:9 widescreen fills up my 16:10 display). Is there any way to correct this from the 360, or is it an issue with my Dell 2407WFP 24" LCD monitor?
This is a known issue with PC monitors. You're probably going to have to wait for another update from MS.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-07-2007, 05:11 PM
DustoMan's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,007
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Sonic View Post
I wouldnt upgrade the firmware unless directed to by a support rep from your router company.
I wouldn't recommend this. Go over to Xbox.com/support and look up what networking devices are Xbox Live certified. Pay special attention to the firmware they list and upgrade to at LEAST that version as those versions of the firmware have been tested as working well with Xbox Live by Microsoft.

The Xbox Live certification is not a gimic the product manufacturer has to pay for. It's a tool to help Xbox Live gamers get networking hardware that performs well with the service.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-07-2007, 08:38 PM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 426
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by HD-Sonic View Post
I wouldnt upgrade the firmware unless directed to by a support rep from your router company.

Yank the power cord from your 360 and its power supply and leave it so for about 60 seconds. After that give it a shot. Are you directly connected or wireless? Thats going to make a difference.
Tried it for a couple of hours, didn't help. I'm wired on all connections.

Quote:
Originally Posted by willpooted View Post
This is a known issue with PC monitors. You're probably going to have to wait for another update from MS.
Boo! Thanks for the info.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustoMan View Post
I wouldn't recommend this. Go over to Xbox.com/support and look up what networking devices are Xbox Live certified. Pay special attention to the firmware they list and upgrade to at LEAST that version as those versions of the firmware have been tested as working well with Xbox Live by Microsoft.

The Xbox Live certification is not a gimic the product manufacturer has to pay for. It's a tool to help Xbox Live gamers get networking hardware that performs well with the service.
I'm trying to upgrade my Linksys BEFSR41 router first now, the firmware update is stuck at 0%...ugh.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-07-2007, 08:44 PM
DustoMan's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 3,007
Default

So... why do you have two routers on your home network?
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-08-2007, 12:35 AM
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 426
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustoMan View Post
So... why do you have two routers on your home network?
I need 4 wired and 2 wireless connections, so there's a wireless router hooked up to the wired one.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-08-2007, 01:32 PM
Mojo's Avatar
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Posts: 1,191
Default

What type of content are you downloading? I've had some friends with problems like that downloading the movies and TV shows which I haven't done. They've had no problems though downloading game demo's, themes, etc.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Related Topics
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
'Jewel: The Essential Live Songbook,''Sheryl Crow: Live,' 'Heart: Live' August 2 Landy Blu-ray Software General Discussion 0 05-06-2011 04:10 PM
PS3 Movie Downloads Like XBox Live and AppleTV? dcrhere Blu-ray Hardware General Discussion 7 01-22-2008 04:37 PM
FREE GTA 4 downloads right now on Live! miDnIghtEr HD DVD and Video Game Consoles 5 06-30-2007 10:20 PM
VC-1, XBox live downloads, and HD DVD/Blu-Ray MichaelHDDVD High Definition Smackdown 25 02-12-2007 02:43 PM
Xbox Live to offer HD movie downloads? Tejstar HD DVD and Video Game Consoles 14 11-08-2006 08:31 AM


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off