Xbox 360 -Should I buy it now - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 02-06-2007, 01:54 PM

Default Xbox 360 -Should I buy it now

I know that there are rumors around that there may be an update to the Xbox 360 with bigger HD and possibly a HDMI. Will it have the HD-DVD add on inside the console and not an add on anymore in th enew one if they release it.
Anyways should I buy the Xbox 360 now or should I wait. SOme people may say that if have waited more than a year why not wiat some more time. But I am thinking what if they don't release it by the end of this year. So some suggestions would be helpful.
Old 02-06-2007, 02:18 PM

No one knows... but if you wait... that means you will be able to by todays good games for less $$$. I always wait about a year after a game is released before I pick it up.
Old 02-06-2007, 03:32 PM

At this point I would probably wait. Even the PS2 and the Xbox released two versions. I know they are switching out the DVD drive to a supposedly better one. Who knows about the whole HDMI thing.
Old 02-06-2007, 06:25 PM

This is my theory, and is such only a theory and should only be taken as such. I think the production slowdown that MS announced is so that they can offload the pre XMAS built ones in Preparation for the 65nm/HDMI/100G HDD Version. Dropping off the "Core" as we know it in favor of 65nm/HDMI Enabled/20G HDD (Possibly without Wireless controller). UNLIKE the PS3 which are 2 different systems, the production costs for MS are for just building 1 main unit. I can see the 2 versions going for (Revised Core) $299 65nm/HDMI/20G HDD (Possibly without Wireless controller) and (Revised Premium) $399 65nm/HDMI/100G HDD With Wireless Controller. If they did that EVEN without adding an internal HD DVD drive they'd severely beat the PS3 to a pulp. It, in my mind, would Game Over for Sony this Generation. Also I don't honestly see the HD DVD dropping $100 like some people on this Forum are speculating but a $50 drop off the $200 HD DVD package is more realistic. Putting the Revised Core as I put above Plus HD DVD Drive @ $450 which is $150 Less than the 60G PS3 and $50 less than the (most likely being Phased out) 20G PS3.

I Think MS has realized they have the Software Support nearly perfect, (Getting FFXIII and MGS4 ont the 360 would be the Nail in the Coffin for Sony) they just need to make the Hardware move at near Wii speeds and they have this Gen Locked up and doing this would insure that.

Just my Observations and theory.

Last edited by Ohgami; 02-06-2007 at 06:41 PM.
Old 02-06-2007, 09:19 PM

There's some really good games coming in the next few months. I'd recommend hopping onto the next good deal you come across unless you really want a quieter optical drive, HDMI or larger hard drive.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:58 AM

Id say wait. Rumors currently have the new HDMI xbox coming out this fall. I am already looking at about a $150 loss from my original purchase and then trading up to the new one.
Old 02-07-2007, 11:07 PM
Special Member

Personally I didnt wait and I couldnt be happier since I can enjoy games AND HD-DVD NOW. Everything that is going around is exactly what you said rumors nothing has been confirmed or denied so it is really a toss up. The new DVD drive is already out in circulation as of last November so you might get one of the quieter driv or you may not. I for on only notice it when the drive 1st starts up when I am playing a game I dont hear anything but the game.

Microsoft IS always looking at new possibilities with their system but really untill the new IPTV release goes into effect I wouldn't expect anything new from them. There will NEVER be an HD-DVD drive integrated into the system. The reason behind this is that M$ wants to give consumers a choice.

As I say with most purchases the only one you have to worry about it you. If you want one get one and you should be happy with it. If you want to wait based on rumors you could be waiting for a bit as for now it is all speculation (regardless of what pictures have been seen and what video is out) companies ALWAYS have different prototypes out there "in the wild".

The HDMI would be nice to have but really the majority of j6p out there dont have HDMI inputs or would know what the benefits of having it are. When you come to forums like this you have a very small "niche" sub section of the market which tend to be early adopters.

Go with your gut if you want it get it and no one will fault you for it
Old 02-08-2007, 12:27 PM

http://www.gamersreports.com/news/49...hdmi-official/

Apparently Looks like it'll be here sooner than we think.
"Just yesterday an inside source gave gamersreports.com a tip that Microsoft Australia has told a store named Myer to prepare the store for a Black 360 with a 120GB hard drive in April. Well day 2 of product knowledge today (Brisbane, Australia) featured Microsoft themselves and it's now 100% official that the Black 360, (with black controller), 120gb hard drive and HDMI is due out in Australia for $749 AU in April."

Dunno when in the US It'll be out though. But I am Sooooo there.

Edit: It looks like this is also $100 AU more than the Original Premium in Australia. The prices in AU$ are Core: $499.95 ($390 USD) Premium: $649.95 ($508 USD) which is roughly what the US pays already so the price in USD for the New 360 is $586.
IF MS waits til the Fall the release it in the US my Theory in the previous post still stands.

Last edited by Ohgami; 02-08-2007 at 12:46 PM.
Old 02-09-2007, 11:51 PM

No Brainer: WAIT
Old 02-10-2007, 12:06 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohgami View Post
http://www.gamersreports.com/news/49...hdmi-official/

Apparently Looks like it'll be here sooner than we think.
"Just yesterday an inside source gave gamersreports.com a tip that Microsoft Australia has told a store named Myer to prepare the store for a Black 360 with a 120GB hard drive in April. Well day 2 of product knowledge today (Brisbane, Australia) featured Microsoft themselves and it's now 100% official that the Black 360, (with black controller), 120gb hard drive and HDMI is due out in Australia for $749 AU in April."

Dunno when in the US It'll be out though. But I am Sooooo there.

Edit: It looks like this is also $100 AU more than the Original Premium in Australia. The prices in AU$ are Core: $499.95 ($390 USD) Premium: $649.95 ($508 USD) which is roughly what the US pays already so the price in USD for the New 360 is $586.
IF MS waits til the Fall the release it in the US my Theory in the previous post still stands.
Until this is confirmed by Microsoft (press release) or an officially names M$ source then I would take ALL new like this with a grain of salt.....There have been rumors since day 1 when the photos came out, so this is nothing new.