Rewards coming to Xbox live - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-29-2007, 06:37 PM

Default Rewards coming to Xbox live

http://www.gamespot.com/news/show_bl...stnews;title;2

This will be great, I hope they turn into Microsoft points or free games.

The official story: Microsoft rep--"We have nothing to say about these rumors or speculation."

What we heard: One of the more surprising innovations from Microsoft's Xbox 360 was the incorporation of achievement points into gameplay. By accomplishing certain tasks in Xbox 360 games, players are awarded points that are amassed into a personal GamerScore, which spans all Xbox 360 games. The phenomenon has created "achievement point whores," friendly competition, a cash-for-points business, and a cutthroat race to the top of the leaderboards.

However, when all is said and done, achievement points amount to nothing but bragging rights among the geek elite. That's all about to change, if a post from Xbox 360 fan site Unscripted 360 is correct.

The Web site claims to have gotten hold of "a partially torn document" that gives information on an upcoming achievements-for-rewards program. According to the blog post, Microsoft has teamed up with some sponsors that would give a limited number of real-world prizes for in-game goals. The program will be free, requiring registration only, and will launch next month, according to the blog.

As far as credibility, the owner of the blog, who goes by the name DeaconBlade 360, is an Xbox Ambassador and was awarded the Microsoft MVP Award for 2007 in the Xbox category. He also adds a bit of drama to the post, saying, "I, along with a few others, are risking quite a bit bringing this explosive story to you!"

Microsoft isn't saying much about the program but did give a hint that it is at least thinking about it. "We have nothing to say about these rumors or speculation," a Microsoft representative told GameSpot. "However, what we can tell you is that Xbox is always exploring ideas for how we can reward our loyal customers. As soon as we have anything new to share, we will definitely let you know."

With the success of achievement points catching many off guard, it wouldn't be surprising if Microsoft were looking to cash in on them somehow, and a rewards program makes perfect sense. By signing on sponsors looking to tap the gamer demographic, Microsoft could find another easy source of income for little investment. The only question that remains is "What kind of schwag are we talking about for prizes?"

Bogus or not bogus?: Sounds not bogus, but definitely not confirmed...yet.

Category: Bulletin
Posted by TimSpot, Jan 29, 2007 1:39 pm PT 68 Comments PrintE-mailCommentTagDigg this
Old 01-29-2007, 06:40 PM

Default addicted to achievements?

Are you addicted to the achievement points? I am in Rainbow Six because of the weapons you can open up.
Old 01-29-2007, 07:11 PM
Banned

just got rainbow six last night. gonna play soon. i think i'll be screwed from the controllers, cuz i'm used to call of duty 3. happens everytime i change games like that. first gears of war, then cod 3, now i bet r.s. vegas
Old 01-29-2007, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miDnIghtEr View Post
just got rainbow six last night. gonna play soon. i think i'll be screwed from the controllers, cuz i'm used to call of duty 3. happens everytime i change games like that. first gears of war, then cod 3, now i bet r.s. vegas

What's your gamertag? Mine is BigDaddyMoe
Old 01-29-2007, 07:30 PM
Banned

that is me my friend. maybe i'll see you on sometime.
Old 01-29-2007, 10:52 PM

How'z that biatch!!!

Old 01-30-2007, 10:49 AM
Super Moderator

So does this mean they'll send you free games in exchange for points. Would you lose your points when 'cashing' them in? So many questions, but very intriguing too.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejstar View Post
So does this mean they'll send you free games in exchange for points. Would you lose your points when 'cashing' them in? So many questions, but very intriguing too.

Good question, I would image they take points away but we'll see. I just hope the IRS doesn't try and tax us
Old 01-30-2007, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejstar View Post
I would assume you still get to keep your points. I'm sure they will have a system for keeping track of what points are still eligible to be used for rewards, and what points have already been used and serve simply to boost your bragging rights.

And that gamer score is sick tranzparentl, how the hell much time do you spend gaming anyway?

Last edited by Pat H; 01-30-2007 at 01:03 PM.
Old 01-30-2007, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzparentl View Post
How'z that biatch!!!

Dayum I'm no where near you, you the man