NEWBIE question "Bad Disc? or region, sound, not supported for 360 HD DVD? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-29-2007, 02:58 PM

Default NEWBIE question "Bad Disc? or region, sound, not supported for 360 HD DVD?

Hey, Ive been a lurker for about 4 months now, thought I would sign up, because I have a question....I just bought the HD DVD of France's Elephant Man....ok, Ive been reading the boards, so I know that the discs are not region locked(liked standard dvds) but I cant get my disc to play...it starts off just fine...shows about a 3 min promo on the HD DVD format, then the main menu/title screen comes up...when I go to select the language, it gives the option for English Stereo..I select that, then another short promo of Studio Canal pops up and plays...then it just hangs, does not go past the Studio Canal part....so my question is, since the 360's HD DVD does not support any DTS at all and Elephant Man comes with DTS-Master Audio and DTS-HD Hi-Resolution..there are no Dolby Digital tracks..so can the fact that 360 does not have an update for the DTS issue, can that be freezing/locking the movie from progressing (I would say right when the DTS track should kick in) ...or do I just simply have a bad disc..yes my 360's software is up to date...any help would be much appreciated....

Last edited by stuttgarthdfan; 01-29-2007 at 03:00 PM.
Old 01-29-2007, 03:24 PM

I think you answered your own question. I'd bet that the HD-DVD drive doesn't support DTS-MA or DTS-HD yet. Just going to have to wait for a software update.
Old 01-29-2007, 04:10 PM

I do have to say that I had a similar experience with the UK version of Serenity on my A1. I returned it and got a new one and that seems to work fine.
Old 01-29-2007, 11:56 PM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stuttgarthdfan View Post
Hey, Ive been a lurker for about 4 months now, thought I would sign up, because I have a question....I just bought the HD DVD of France's Elephant Man....ok, Ive been reading the boards, so I know that the discs are not region locked(liked standard dvds) but I cant get my disc to play...it starts off just fine...shows about a 3 min promo on the HD DVD format, then the main menu/title screen comes up...when I go to select the language, it gives the option for English Stereo..I select that, then another short promo of Studio Canal pops up and plays...then it just hangs, does not go past the Studio Canal part....so my question is, since the 360's HD DVD does not support any DTS at all and Elephant Man comes with DTS-Master Audio and DTS-HD Hi-Resolution..there are no Dolby Digital tracks..so can the fact that 360 does not have an update for the DTS issue, can that be freezing/locking the movie from progressing (I would say right when the DTS track should kick in) ...or do I just simply have a bad disc..yes my 360's software is up to date...any help would be much appreciated....
Well really you shouldnt have a problem like that because of the audio since the 360 should just convert to DD. Have you tried doing a scene select? Like select Scene 2 and see if it plays OK? not sure if that will work but it is worth a try I have heard of people who have had similar problems and instead of going thorugh the "normal" startup the choose the scene and it works fine.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:14 AM

Default Ive done that..

yes I have tried selecting a scene as well..but for some reason, as soon as I do that...it locks up...I cant get pass the studio canal thingy...now Ive read in certain post about the usb issue...could it be that the dts master audio is just pushing way to much data through the usb cable..and its locking the device up? I relaize that it down coverts to DD...I have not tried clearing the cache yet....(holding down A on the gamepad/remote as the system boots) I will have to try that this evening...like I said, the promo works/plays fine, the menu comes up just fine as well...it just does not want to get to the actuall movie...any more sugesstions, should I contact the seller and ask for a replacement, or should I just think that the issue is the player and the fact that it wont support DTS....I read in the board about the bandwith issues with DTS...when it came to DD True...could it be that there is just simply more info/data in a DTS Master track then the DD tracks?
Old 01-30-2007, 12:29 AM
Special Member

it wouldn't be a limitation of the USB as there should be PLENTY of bandwidth left. It may just be a bad disc and it just needs to be returned. I dont knwo about bandwidth issues with audio as the pipe should be big enough to allow all the tracks. The 360 just cant decode any of the "advanced" audio as it doesn't have and HDMI output.
Old 01-30-2007, 02:14 AM

well you have a point..after reading back to page 6 of this forum, I see that usb should have no issues handeling the bandwith..480Mbps is what USB is using supposely...so maybe its the cpu or software...or maybe its just the disc...I think Ill get a replacement disc...but, it will take forever to get one, as Ill have to ship my disc back to the states...and then wait for the seller to send me anoother one..and since I live in Germany..it will take forever to get one..

Last edited by stuttgarthdfan; 01-30-2007 at 02:26 AM.