Questions about the HD DVD drive for 360 - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-27-2007, 02:06 PM

Default Questions about the HD DVD drive for 360

I have a HD DVD for my XBox 360 and have a couple of questions about it.

1. Is using the the VGA Adapter better than component when watching movies. I believe it looks better.

2. Will any HD DVD movies have DTS output on the sound.
Old 01-27-2007, 03:37 PM

I'm trying to figure the add-on out also but this is what I gather.

1. You must use the VGA in order to get 1080p for HD DVD and upconverting SD DVD

2. I believe it can do or will do in the future DTS, but not TrueHD tracks.

I'm still learning on this stuff also so I could be wrong.
Old 01-30-2007, 12:12 AM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hstewarth View Post
I have a HD DVD for my XBox 360 and have a couple of questions about it.

1. Is using the the VGA Adapter better than component when watching movies. I believe it looks better.

2. Will any HD DVD movies have DTS output on the sound.
There are HD-DVD movies that have DTS and there are plans for the movies themselves to have the DTS-HD sound, BUT the HD-DVD player will only be able to output the DTS (Analog) sound since it doesn't have an HDMI output.
Old 01-31-2007, 12:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsmart thing View Post
1. You must use the VGA in order to get 1080p for HD DVD and upconverting SD DVD
On a side note though as far as gaming goes, some newer games now offer 1080p. You can get that resolution with the VGA or Component. Just with the HD DVD do you need the VGA to get 1080p.
Old 02-03-2007, 06:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8 View Post
BUT the HD-DVD player will only be able to output the DTS (Analog) sound since it doesn't have an HDMI output.
I don't understand what you mean here.

DTS is purely a digital signal (and so is Dolby Digital for that matter).

The only way to take advantage of DTS is via the optical cable to your A/V Receiver. In this way, the Receiver does all the DAC (Digital to Analog Conversion). For this reason, it does not matter whether the 360 decodes a DTS signal or not. Any receiver worth a damn will.

Also, Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master Audio are good only if you have an HDMI out of your 360, the ability to decode both signals in the Receiver or 360, and a Receiver that accepts HDMI (PCM doesn't hurt either).

Hope this helps.
Old 02-03-2007, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZar View Post
I don't understand what you mean here.

DTS is purely a digital signal (and so is Dolby Digital for that matter).

The only way to take advantage of DTS is via the optical cable to your A/V Receiver. In this way, the Receiver does all the DAC (Digital to Analog Conversion). For this reason, it does not matter whether the 360 decodes a DTS signal or not. Any receiver worth a damn will.

Hope this helps.
I see, so what's all this talk about you can only get DTS or the DTS+ through analogue, if you've only got the left and right outputs on your component cables?

I've just bought the Monster Xbox 360 component lead with the optical output on it. I've been using the original Microsoft components leads for a while now. But now I've bought the HD DVD drive, I might as well get the best picture I can, as I don't like messing around with the VGA input on my HDTV as it seems to lose colour when I use it
Old 02-04-2007, 12:42 AM

I've read reports that playing games/watching hd-dvds using the VGA cable results in a blander albeit sharper picture. Is this true? Or maybe isolated to specific TV models?
Old 02-04-2007, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willpooted View Post
I've read reports that playing games/watching hd-dvds using the VGA cable results in a blander albeit sharper picture. Is this true? Or maybe isolated to specific TV models?
I tried using the VGA connection w/ my TV and I thought the pq looked terrible. I'm using a component connection and 1080i. It looks great.

I actually think most HD DVD movies look better than Blu-ray at 1080p! Go figure.

For Dolby Digital+ and Dolby TruHD, DTS Master Audio, etc. you need either a set of analog cables or an HDMI cable to your receiver. Again for either of these scenarios to work, you need the source component (360) to do all the DAC (Digital to Analog Conversion) OR an HDMI receiver w/ built-in DD+, DDTHD, and DTSMA processing. I don't know of any at this time.

Hope this helps.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willpooted View Post
There's less contrast by default for games, but you can fix that with manual adjustment of your screen if the display allows it. I think this has to do with the 360's internal settings for games, as HD-DVD movies are incredibly vibrant by default using the add-on.
Old 02-04-2007, 01:58 PM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Realtime View Post
I see, so what's all this talk about you can only get DTS or the DTS+ through analogue, if you've only got the left and right outputs on your component cables?
Sorry Realtime, can you expand on this further - I really don't know what you are asking!