Microsoft Denies Xbox HD DVD Rumors - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 11-05-2007, 04:35 PM
HDD Founder

Default Microsoft Denies Xbox HD DVD Rumors

Just posted:

Quote:
That rumored "Entertainment Xbox" with a built-in HD DVD hard drive? Microsoft says its a no-go.

Speaking with Home Media Magazine, the computer giant denied persistent rumors that it had teamed up with Toshiba to develop a new version of its gaming console with an internal HD DVD hard drive.

The trade magazine quotes Kevin Collins, Microsoft's director of HD DVD evangelism, as saying the company did not and will not bundle an HD DVD drive in its popular gaming console because Microsoft believes that gamers are first and foremost gamers.

"Microsoft knew if we put in an HD DVD drive that we would have to raise costs and disenfranchise our customers (that are primarily gamers) as the unit would become too expensive," explained Collins.
Full story:
http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/1144
Old 11-05-2007, 04:44 PM

I beleive MS does not want to market their console as a Hi Def movie player a la Sony. I do think that a combo 360 unit would be good for HD DVD though.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:48 PM

microsoft might not make one, but if toshiba is authorized to make one, then we should be able to see a built-in xbox360 inside a standalone HD DVD player,, Toshiba HD-X360 ?

lol...

if HD DVD sticks around in the next two years, i think its safe to say the next xbox 360 will have hd dvd bulit-in.
Old 11-05-2007, 04:54 PM

blah blah blah....wake me up when the so-called war is over! This just proves more why MS is just trying to add confusion to the HDM market and steer xbox gamers (like myself) to downloading movies which I will NEVER do! I would rather spend 3 times as much on a movie I like and own it forever!

If some of you think I am anti-MS, I am NOT! I have more than 20 xbox360 games and love my console to death! I hug it and kiss it all the time! I am just more sure that MS has no real intentions of supporting HDM hardware other than an HDDVD Add on, I bet you it would barely bring up cost by $70-$100 per console, and it wouldnt hurt to have another SKU, they already have 3 (Arcade, Premium, and Elite). They should change the Elite to inlcude an internal HDDVD drive, but they won't for two reasons:

- They are unsure about the format thats going to win
- They want to add more confusion to the HDM consumer market with digital rental downloads
Old 11-05-2007, 05:21 PM

The 360 is a games console... unlike the PS3

Gears Of Wars... best game ever.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jroadley View Post
The 360 is a games console... unlike the PS3

Gears Of Wars... best game ever.
I fail to see the difference between a 360 with the add-on and a PS3. A 360 with a HD-DVD drive would make sense. There may be a larger complication with creating a new drive that is designed to verify 360 game disc encryption.

Keep in mind I'm talking about making a media version of the 360. Not replacing the current models with HD-DVD drives.
Old 11-05-2007, 05:49 PM

i think that is weird after G4 was saying a microsoft insider is currently working on one, but wont effect me since i have a 360
Old 11-05-2007, 05:57 PM

I just don't get the argument that MS won't integrate HD DVD because it would increase the cost of the system. They've already shown they're not afraid of multiple SKUs, so just add another one with HD DVD. They can keep the arcade pack as bare bones and basic as they like and a super high end HD DVD SKU wouldn't impact that in the slightest.
Old 11-05-2007, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAMNSAM77 View Post
blah blah blah....wake me up when the so-called war is over! This just proves more why MS is just trying to add confusion to the HDM market and steer xbox gamers (like myself) to downloading movies which I will NEVER do! I would rather spend 3 times as much on a movie I like and own it forever!

If some of you think I am anti-MS, I am NOT! I have more than 20 xbox360 games and love my console to death! I hug it and kiss it all the time! I am just more sure that MS has no real intentions of supporting HDM hardware other than an HDDVD Add on, I bet you it would barely bring up cost by $70-$100 per console, and it wouldnt hurt to have another SKU, they already have 3 (Arcade, Premium, and Elite). They should change the Elite to inlcude an internal HDDVD drive, but they won't for two reasons:

- They are unsure about the format thats going to win
- They want to add more confusion to the HDM consumer market with digital rental downloads
I totally agree that Microsoft want people downloading movies more.
Old 11-05-2007, 07:15 PM

they also denied the xbox 360's with hdmi coming out too though.