Xbox 360 Red Ring of Death experiences/info/reccomondations? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-29-2007, 04:23 PM

Default Xbox 360 Red Ring of Death experiences/info/reccomondations?

So yeah,

Mine that I bought at launch finally gave in to the red circle of death this weekend. Thinking about picking up a Halo 3 limited ed console (simply because I cannot wait that long to get mine repaired, and wouldnt mind having another console anyways) but wanted to get some stories from others that experienced this, how long did Microsoft take to swap, was customer service good?

Also what 360 console should I buy.... take into consideration, I do have an Sony rear projection HD DVD (about 4-5 years old without HDMI, but probably does have DVI , though I do own the monster cables with optical audio) Will Microsoft make me send in my harddrive? If they don't, maybe I just buy the arcade version console. Otherwise, the Halo 3 limited ed console looks nice, not only for looks, but it does include the re-charge and play for the controllers as well. I figure I won't need the additonal space that the Elite provides with 2 hard drives if I go the Halo 3 route.

thanks
Old 10-29-2007, 04:45 PM

This isn't smack! you can experience a typical 4-6 week turn around on the new box. I have heard some things about the drives on the halo 3 units. I just upgraded to an elite and am loving it/move
Old 10-29-2007, 06:35 PM

I've had mine since launch, still no problems (knock on wood)

My brother's however, got the RROD about 3 months ago. Living in the Bay Area I guess provided him the best situation. He contacted Xbox Customer Service and was reffered to a local service center. The service center had the unit back within 3 days, and Microsoft settled the bill. This will probably be one of the easiest scenarios in dealing with this problem. I'm sure the majority of issues will have you send in your unit with approx. 4 week turnaround.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:26 PM

I only play on my roommate's 360 as I don't have one but I have four other friends who have a 360... 3 of them have had consoles die. Not a single one of them believed me when I let them know the facts about the 360's criminally bad construction (the fact that ultimately turned me away from purchasing it). I get a kick out of it because now I can ask them "Hows that dead Xbox working out for ya? "

Would have even been funnier if they had all actually bought them themselves rather than all get em for christmas.
Old 10-29-2007, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchtower41 View Post
... Will Microsoft make me send in my harddrive? ...
Microsoft advises you NOT to send in the HDD when you send in your machine. Their customer support people are supposed to tell consumers this but I've heard that they don't always.
Old 10-29-2007, 11:52 PM
Special Member

Thread moved to HD DVD and Video Game Consoles
Old 10-30-2007, 02:45 AM
Banned

The same thing happened to me and I got the Elite. Just Do It.
Old 10-30-2007, 08:38 AM

I bought mine on late July... With HDMI on it... So far so good, haven't given me problems. Hopefully, it will last more than a year.
Old 10-30-2007, 03:52 PM

Ok, talked with Microsoft last night, and had a great experience dealing with tech support/customer service. They assured me that they would send out an empty UPS box for me to send in my console for "repairs". I was also told that the normal turn-around time is 3-4 weeks, but I could very well get the console back in my hands before thanksgiving. This made me very happy, and decided not to go ahead and buy another xbox 360 and I can withstand the wait, but instead maybe looking to buy a stand-alone HD DVD player or maybe even considering going purple "GULP" with the 399.99 PS3 and free Spiderman 3. Thoughts?? Opinions?? What is said to be a better choice in this stage of the game?? I guess it should be mentioned that I already have a good 35 HD DVD's.
Old 10-30-2007, 04:50 PM

yeah this happened to me before with the add-on issue. i had already invested enough money into the hd dvds that when my 360 broke the first time, i was so bored of looking at all the hd dvds that i still had to watch. i decided to invest in a stand alone hd dvd and have been happy with it since i bought it. and with the my 360 in for service again, i am able to watch hd dvds while waiting (that was until i bought another 360).