How to transfer memory from one HDD to another HDD - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-28-2007, 02:21 AM

Default How to transfer memory from one HDD to another HDD

How do I transfer my Premium 20gb HDD memory to my new Halo 3 20GB HDD....

If I do not care about my saved games, and only Achievements, and arcade...can I just recover gamer tag on XBOX Live....

Thanks in Advance
Old 09-28-2007, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coolbeans View Post
How do I transfer my Premium 20gb HDD memory to my new Halo 3 20GB HDD....

If I do not care about my saved games, and only Achievements, and arcade...can I just recover gamer tag on XBOX Live....

Thanks in Advance
Good news & Bad News. First, the Good News, for your achievements, they are stored on the MS servers, so you should just need to recover your GT on your new HD and be all set with that.

Now the Bad News: You cannot copy Aracde games from one HD to another. They are tied to the machine that they were downloaded on to prevent theft of one person buying it and everyone having it.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:30 PM

that's interesting....cause I just transfered all my arcade games to my new elite with a memory card and they work fine....
Old 11-26-2008, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anevilweasel View Post
that's interesting....cause I just transfered all my arcade games to my new elite with a memory card and they work fine....
Arcade Games and Downloaded Content (DLC) all save to the serial number attached to your xbox, not the hard drive(HD). You can transfer the majority of your saved content from one HD to another with the exceptions of some games (depending on the developers of the game). If you get a new xbox through the Repair Center if you sent it in to get fixed, then you can transfer your license number from your old xbox to your new one via their website so you can access your arcade games and DLC. The elite came with some transferring cables that did that for you automatically, I believe.

Another thing to note is that if you try to access your arcade games or DLC by using your HD or memory card on a different xbox (i.e. taking your HD over to a friend's house to play your games on his console), they will not work because they were downloaded in your xbox and are attached to that serial number, however, if your friend has access to the internet, then you can sign on to your Xbox Live account with your gamer profile (doesn't have to be gold, a silver account will work fine) and be able to play your content on someone else's console through your memory card or HD.

Last edited by Kerchak; 11-26-2008 at 05:25 PM.
Old 11-27-2008, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Disconnect from the internet and see if it still lets you play the full versions.

Believe me I feel your pain. However if you have not done it before you can transfer your licenses over to your new system with this tool. It can only be used once per year:
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/support/sy...ensemigration/
Old 11-30-2008, 10:34 PM

Quote:
This works IF you have your profile moved to the memory card, and then copy it to the new hard drive when you're done copying the arcade games. I did it last week, and no problems.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:41 AM
Banned

It also depends on the game. You can not transfer data on RV6 2, Ubisoft rep told he didn't know why they did it.
Old 12-09-2008, 11:18 AM

You can use the license transfer tool on Xbox.com to move your licenses to a new Xbox, but only once per calender year. As was said before, systems that you got back from the repair center do not count towards your one-time-per year transfer. Just go to your download history and hit each item to re-download the license file.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:10 AM

Can't you just crack open the HDD case and swap the drives??
Old 02-03-2009, 10:18 AM

So the system migration tool works if i buy like an elite and need to transfer all my rockband songs?