Xbox HD DVD & HDMI Possibility - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-13-2007, 11:55 PM

Default Xbox HD DVD & HDMI Possibility

Ok, as I understand it, the Xbox HD-DVD connects to the Xbox 360 through the USB port and then uses the Xbox component connection to connect to the TV. So, what is the possibility of them just coming out with an HDMI connector that attaches onto the Xbox like the connector it already uses? Do you think they could just add the connector and do a software update to allow the Xbox to connect via HDMI? Is it even technically possible? Just something I was wondering about.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfreeman73 View Post
Ok, as I understand it, the Xbox HD-DVD connects to the Xbox 360 through the USB port and then uses the Xbox component connection to connect to the TV. So, what is the possibility of them just coming out with an HDMI connector that attaches onto the Xbox like the connector it already uses? Do you think they could just add the connector and do a software update to allow the Xbox to connect via HDMI? Is it even technically possible? Just something I was wondering about.
The technology exists for VGA to DVI/HDMI conversion (see link). There are also much more simple connectors which can convert VGA to DVI/HDMI and vice versa. I also would think that USB/HDMI conversion is possible.

http://www.svideo.com/ext-vga-2-dvi.html
Old 01-14-2007, 12:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by james View Post
The technology exists for VGA to DVI/HDMI conversion (see link). There are also much more simple connectors which can convert VGA to DVI/HDMI and vice versa. I also would think that USB/HDMI conversion is possible.

http://www.svideo.com/ext-vga-2-dvi.html
USB does not currently have the bandwidth.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:42 AM
noobydoo

You will have to take my word for this because I lost the reference, but I saw an article where the ATI chip and graphics circuitry was "dissected" and they reported an area that had previously been misidentified by others to actually be a pure digital video output right next to the main cable port connector. The speculation was that the only reason for it was to provide digital video to the main cable. It was the only reference I had ever seen from a reputable engineer that this was possible. If I can locate it again,, or if someone else has it please post for all to read.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:46 AM

Video requires a min of 1920*1080*24*60 bits per second.

~2.85 Gbps.

Usb, ethernet, and firewire cannot currently approach that number.
Old 01-14-2007, 12:53 AM
Banned

I might be stupid here, but if Im correct doesnt the 360 do all of the processing for the hd player? So it would never use the usb cable for video in the first place? Because if that were the case wouldnt an hd player on 360 through usb be impossible? just a thought.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:09 AM

Don't confuse adapters with converters. VGA to DVI adapters do not convert VGA to a digital format, it just utilizes the DVI-A standard for analog connectivity.

A converter, or transcoder as it more properly is called, will actually put the video into the digital realm and then push it out over HDMI or DVI.

But, here's the deal: USB is not video, it is data. The video stream coming out of the add-on is not processed fully uncompressed 1080p video, but is the native, fully compressed video as it is read directly off the disc. The USB cable transfers this raw data to the X360 where it is then decompressed, audio is pulled out, processing is performed, and the final video is sent onto the display.

If HDMI is going to happen, it must happen at the X360 level and can't happen any other way. At least not easily/cheaply.

Unless the X360 has full HDMI/HDCP capabilities built in, then I'm not sure how long I would hold my breath on this, but I sure would be praying that the ICT isn't ever turned on.
Old 01-14-2007, 01:55 AM

If the HDMI is a hardware capability that has to be built in, Microsoft may have to come up with some special adapter that's not just a cable, but has hardware included. Oh well, just trying to see how hard it would be for them to add HDMI support to the Xbox.
Old 01-14-2007, 03:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfreeman73 View Post
If the HDMI is a hardware capability that has to be built in, Microsoft may have to come up with some special adapter that's not just a cable, but has hardware included. Oh well, just trying to see how hard it would be for them to add HDMI support to the Xbox.
I can see how that is a concern forsome Xbox 360 Owners but I have to say I am using the VGA input on my 1080p DLP and it looks perfect. I just got Lost PLanet which is the first X360 game that actually Renders @ 1080p and it just looks AMAZING!
Old 01-14-2007, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crypter View Post
I can see how that is a concern forsome Xbox 360 Owners but I have to say I am using the VGA input on my 1080p DLP and it looks perfect. I just got Lost PLanet which is the first X360 game that actually Renders @ 1080p and it just looks AMAZING!
Yeah, I am thinking of grabbing that. It does look awfully nice in the previews.

Kind of ironic that they could get a 360 FPS game to render at 1080p, but the highly touted PS3 could only handle 720p for Resistance.