360 come with a defragmentation utility? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-11-2007, 05:05 PM

Default 360 come with a defragmentation utility?

Just curious if it has one, or if you can use the one off of XP. I was mentioning on the PS3 how the PS3 lacks this at the moment, and might be painfull later on when you seriously start to delete/insert data onto the disk.
Old 01-11-2007, 07:48 PM

no such thing. ive had the premium unit from launch and with no dashboard updates or anything have I ever seen such a thing
Old 01-11-2007, 08:03 PM

A few updates ago they made a patch which was "to optimize HD videos on a defragmentated hard drive". So I don't think any utilities to defrag, which would be nice, but they made the drive run fragmented. The old bandaid for a gunshot solution.
Old 01-11-2007, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aodh View Post
A few updates ago they made a patch which was "to optimize HD videos on a defragmentated hard drive". So I don't think any utilities to defrag, which would be nice, but they made the drive run fragmented. The old bandaid for a gunshot solution.
if im not mistaken, that just works correct? Cause I havent downloaded anything really off XBL. I use the HDD purely for mapacks and game saves and such
Old 01-12-2007, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
if im not mistaken, that just works correct? Cause I havent downloaded anything really off XBL. I use the HDD purely for mapacks and game saves and such
Yeah, there's no settings or anything it just works, my guess it they increased the buffer size so seek time due to fragmentation isn't noticeable. It works well too, I Dl'd some videos that were jumpy/skippy just prior to the update, and they play 100% smooth now. Same files.
Old 01-13-2007, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aodh View Post
Yeah, there's no settings or anything it just works, my guess it they increased the buffer size so seek time due to fragmentation isn't noticeable. It works well too, I Dl'd some videos that were jumpy/skippy just prior to the update, and they play 100% smooth now. Same files.
really? Thats a nice update then and interesting it made a noticable difference. Good deal. I hope its somehow helping me too!