Xbox HD DVD drive to connect to PCs via USB - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-18-2006, 04:00 AM
Super Moderator

Default Xbox HD DVD drive to connect to PCs via USB

Just seen this article that suggests that the 360 HD-DVD add-on will be able to connect to PC's via its USB.

However, before anyone gets too excited, it doesn't look like MS will be providing drivers for it to work. However, I'm sure a work-around will be a matter of time...
Old 10-20-2006, 04:48 PM

Gizmodo on the subject.

I think it would be in Toshiba's best interest to release what we need to use
the drive with our PCs.

Pros for Toshiba:
1.Providing a cheap HD DVD player increases HD DVD sales.
2.They sell more Xbox 360 HD DVD drives.
3.If customers get tired of the Xbox 360 (it could happend) they can still use
the drive and might continue to buy HD DVDs.

Cons for Toshiba:
1.Toshiba and other manufacuturers will sell less of their expensive HD DVD drives.
2.Umm... people who use the drive with a PC are less likely to buy a Toshiba HDTV to use with it.

I think the pros outweigh the cons here, unless anyone can think of some
more cons that is.

Last edited by MentokTheMindTaker; 10-20-2006 at 04:57 PM.
Old 10-21-2006, 06:17 AM
Super Moderator

I think that Toshiba should release them too but I doubt they'd want to cannabalise sales of their own drives.

Another thing to think about though is that even if you had the drives, your PC would still need to be powerful enough to play the files. I know mine at the moment isn't, but that's why I'm upgrading next year!
Old 10-21-2006, 07:53 AM

I'm not so sure it would necessarily cannibalise sales of their HD DVD players... I mean, if it's just a USB drive with some software to play the discs, then it's not really going to appeal to people who don't have HTPC, especially if restricted to those with HDCP-compliant video output (which is probably the market killer). The HD-(X)E1 are attractive and slim looking players that wouldn't look out of place under many a screen, and a lot of people don't want the hassle or noise of a PC sitting there cluttering up their space.
Old 10-21-2006, 12:27 PM
Super Moderator

No, I meant cannabalising sales of its external hd-dvd drives. Click here.
Old 10-21-2006, 01:00 PM

Ahhh those

Sorry, I'd forgotten about that. It should be interesting to see how they differentiate themselves. I guess it depends on what their intent is with that, whether it's for storage or actually for movies. Now if it had a HDMI port on the back, then it starts getting really interesting
Old 10-22-2006, 05:16 AM
Super Moderator

Exactly, HDMI would be a great way to differetiate those drives. Another way would by making it a writer drive!
Old 10-22-2006, 06:31 AM

well is it even really smart to have a device that transfers 1080p video (assuming it will) with audio maybe even Dolby TrueHD or DTS-HD through USB 2.0? Granted it would be cool but would it really be smart to do?
Old 10-22-2006, 09:54 AM

The way I see it, it's just behaving like any other drive, and if it offers any HD DVD player functionality that's probably going to be dependent on having the appropriate software/hardware on the PC.

I just noticed that the little card beside the picture that Tejstar linked to says "USB External HD DVD-ROM drive", and it's listed as a prototype. Maybe we're not best getting our hopes up
Old 10-23-2006, 03:48 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mal Reynolds View Post
I just noticed that the little card beside the picture that Tejstar linked to says "USB External HD DVD-ROM drive", and it's listed as a prototype. Maybe we're not best getting our hopes up
Indeed, but I'm sure we'll see something come out sooner or later. Maybe drives will be released to coincide with the Vista launch...