Do all HD DVDs have horrible audio or is it just me? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-07-2007, 09:11 PM

Default Do all HD DVDs have horrible audio or is it just me?

I have watched 3 HD DVDs so far, and they all have been very quiet, or the talking will be very quiet but noises and explosions will be very loud. I just started watching Children of Men and my volume is at the max and I can barely hear people's conversations it is so quiet.

I am using the Xbox 360 add on drive on a 32" sharp LCD 1080p gaming HD TV, using a component cable. For the most part games/DVDs/Blu Rays work perfectly fine but for some reason HD DVDs are always really quiet. Is there some setting that will magically fix this problem? My settings are on Dolby Digital 5.1 and the Dynamic Control Range is turned on. I like the quality of HD DVDs but if I can't hear what is going on in movies I won't be purchasing any more HD DVDs.

So if anyone has any suggestions as to what the problem is or how to fix it please let me know.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:23 PM

That's funny, because my HD DVDs tend to run louder than any of my other components.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:39 PM

I noticed the same thing with 300.
With MI3 & Miami Vice it was the same way. I've got the 360 add-on running optical to my Onkyo 5.1 setup.

however Clerks 2 & Dazed & Confused where fine.
Old 09-07-2007, 09:47 PM

Just an educated guess, but it sounds like you might have a phase cancellation problem.

Have you adjusted your speaker levels using your amp's built-in test tones? If that's OK, then try playing tones from a disc with tones on it (a disc with THX test signals, perhaps?) If the test levels from the disc aren't the same, then somewhere between the disc and your amp you may have your connections wired wrong.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:10 PM
Banned

My tv has the same issue. But its only with HD DVDs disc not the player. Put in a normal dvd into the HD DVD player. Its not that they have bad audio its just they're equalized at to low of a volume. They assume you're gonna be running it threw a stereo so this wont matter. Honestly I could care less about audio quality. DVD sounded fine. But I wish they'd consider you where actually runing the hdmi into the tv. Wtf is the point of using hdmi if you're running it into a box to split the audio and the picture in the first damn place?
Old 09-07-2007, 10:24 PM

I have a really nice tv, it was like $1250 with a discount ($1400 at Best Buy). I think it has to be the 360 drive that is the problem. From what everyone is saying it seems like I am not doing anything wrong with the audio, so maybe it is just the player. Maybe I will look into trying to exchange it for a new one at Best Buy or something. If it is not functioning right they should be able to just give me a new one.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dillman926 View Post
I have watched 3 HD DVDs so far, and they all have been very quiet, or the talking will be very quiet but noises and explosions will be very loud. I just started watching Children of Men and my volume is at the max and I can barely hear people's conversations it is so quiet.

I am using the Xbox 360 add on drive on a 32" sharp LCD 1080p gaming HD TV, using a component cable. For the most part games/DVDs/Blu Rays work perfectly fine but for some reason HD DVDs are always really quiet. Is there some setting that will magically fix this problem? My settings are on Dolby Digital 5.1 and the Dynamic Control Range is turned on. I like the quality of HD DVDs but if I can't hear what is going on in movies I won't be purchasing any more HD DVDs.

So if anyone has any suggestions as to what the problem is or how to fix it please let me know.
Your problem is.......you have dynamic range control on. When you have that turned on, it's like having the player set in night mode. It compresses the soundtrack. Also, if your receiver can handle it, set the digital output format to DTS. You will then be getting a 1.5 mbs DTS track.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:49 PM

Actually, I just made a thread complaining about the same thing, my audio is extremely low.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:59 PM
Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pvtjoker View Post
Your problem is.......you have dynamic range control on. When you have that turned on, it's like having the player set in night mode. It compresses the soundtrack. Also, if your receiver can handle it, set the digital output format to DTS. You will then be getting a 1.5 mbs DTS track.
While that may be part of the OP's problem, I think he stumbled upon one of the addon's weaknesses. The audio is still soft for many users (not effects or music, but dialog) even after the update and turning off the "night mode". It seems it is just a characteristic of the addon itself rather than HD DVD in general.

Personally I am still having the issue and this is only for HD DVDs. You can hear when the sound level drops too (when the actual movie starts). The intro to Universals HD DVDs sounds loud then when you actually start the movie and you hear it again you can here the "drop" and then it is soft as is the dialog for the rest of the movie. Everything else plays normally 9cable, games, regular DVDs) for some reason the Addon is STILL dropping the levels for the audio on HD DVDs only (no matter which audio you select on the Addon OR the HD DVD.)
Old 09-07-2007, 11:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ph8 View Post
While that may be part of the OP's problem, I think he stumbled upon one of the addon's weaknesses. The audio is still soft for many users (not effects or music, but dialog) even after the update and turning off the "night mode". It seems it is just a characteristic of the addon itself rather than HD DVD in general.

Personally I am still having the issue and this is only for HD DVDs. You can hear when the sound level drops too (when the actual movie starts). The intro to Universals HD DVDs sounds loud then when you actually start the movie and you hear it again you can here the "drop" and then it is soft as is the dialog for the rest of the movie. Everything else plays normally 9cable, games, regular DVDs) for some reason the Addon is STILL dropping the levels for the audio on HD DVDs only (no matter which audio you select on the Addon OR the HD DVD.)
That's odd. My addon USED to have the quiet audio. But after that spring update and the ability to turn off the DR, my HD DVD's have sounded great. No problems with the audio on my Add-on.