Xbox HDDVD drive Audio update questions - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-05-2007, 03:43 AM

Default Xbox HDDVD drive Audio update questions

I just bought the HD DVD drive Add on. Amazons offer was just too good to pass up. Too bad I got trigger happy and got a PS3 2 weeks earlier at Walmart and didnt' get the Amazon offer too!

Will the Add on be capable of passing the new HD audio codecs thru bitstream so they can be decoded via a new HDMI capable reciever? I'm toying with picking up a new Onkyo 7.1 reciever in the future and was wondering if it would allow output for Dolby Digital Plus, Dolby Digital HD or DTS HD MA.

If not, would it be possible via a firmware update in the future?
Old 09-05-2007, 05:41 AM

No current version of XBox offers HDMI 1.3. All the Xbox systems with HDMI only have version 1.2. You need 1.3 to even have the slightest hope of being able to send the audio out bitstream. Personally I really think sooner or later they may develop a new XBox system that will have the 1.3 in it. It may be a year or so, but I think they will.