360 HD DVD Reviews? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 10-17-2006, 06:00 AM
Super Moderator

Default 360 HD DVD Reviews?

Has anyone seen any reviews of this device yet?

This seems like a great player for the price and a cheap entry into HD DVD. Just would like to know how it compares to the standalone Toshiba alternatives on pq?

Also, when is the exact release date (Amazon don't seem to have any dates yet)?
Old 10-17-2006, 06:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejstar View Post
Has anyone seen any reviews of this device yet?

This seems like a great player for the price and a cheap entry into HD DVD. Just would like to know how it compares to the standalone Toshiba alternatives on pq?

Also, when is the exact release date (Amazon don't seem to have any dates yet)?
Gamestop.com shows the launch date to be 7 Nov and they allow pre-orders now. Unfortunately Microsoft don't allow any international orders to be fulfilled for this add-on drive so I guess I may have to get it through other means like ebay.
Old 10-17-2006, 12:43 PM

Here is an impression from a dvdfile poster,

http://forums.dvdfile.com/showpost.p...45&postcount=1
Old 10-17-2006, 12:44 PM

There are user reviews of this add on at AVS. I only glanced at them since even thou I have a 360 I don't think I will get this. However I do recall them say that they were blown away at the speed that disks where loaded and became avail. Much faster than the HD-A1. Perhaps the A-2 ect. will share this speed increase.
Old 10-17-2006, 04:23 PM

you could always try somewhere like www.dvdboxoffice.com, they seem to accept orders internationally
Old 10-18-2006, 03:50 AM
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by krammer View Post
Here is an impression from a dvdfile poster,

http://forums.dvdfile.com/showpost.p...45&postcount=1
For some reason that link didn't work for me - is it possible to cut and paste it for me?
Old 10-22-2006, 03:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejstar View Post
For some reason that link didn't work for me - is it possible to cut and paste it for me?
Text from the post

Quote:
I was recently able to check out the XBOX 360 HD DVD addon on an immaculately calibrated 65" Pioneer 1080p Plasma display w/ 1:1 pixel mapping. The 360 was running 1080i Component video to the Pioneer which deinterlaces the signal to 1080p using inverse telecine.

VIDEO: A-
Compared to the Toshiba XA1 on the same setup, I'm happy to report that the 360 HD DVD addon looked fantastic based on the comparisons I was able to see - nearly as good, if not just as good. Yes, the 360 HD DVD addon kicks ass in video quality. You will not be disappointed. The 360 loses some points here for not supporting HDMI, but this is not from a quality perspective, only for DRM reasoning - however latest word on ICT is that it will likely not come until 2010 if ever. By then you'll surely have replaced this addon anyway. Therefore, I can't subtract much from the 360's gorgeous vid quality for a pithy $199 entry fee that includes King Kong and the 360 Media Remote.

AUDIO: B
The XBOX 360 addon is able to decode Dolby Digital Plus and Dolby TrueHD. However, due to the lack of 5.1 analog or HDMI on the 360, these formats are output as standard Dolby Digital. While this is a bummer, it is a good thing that the 360 can read these formats, as it means that studios can encode titles in TrueHD and know that every single player out there can read it (even if the user isn't getting full resolution).

FUNCTIONALITY: A-
The 360 HD DVD addon was much, much faster than the XA1, spinning up discs in a fraction of the time. If you hate loadtimes, you'll most likely want to elect the XBOX 360 HD DVD addon as your first hidef disc player. The drive was also quiet and the 360 is much quieter watching HD DVD movies compared to playing games. The HD DVD addon plugs into the USB port on the back of your 360, and the HD DVD addon provides two additional USB ports on the back for a wireless networking adapter or Xbox Live Vision cam.

Overall, highly recommended for the price and really exceeded my expectations!

You do the math. Buy HD-DVD.
Old 10-23-2006, 03:49 AM
Super Moderator

Thanks Retronana! Two plus points, 1) it's quick and 2) it's quiet.

Looks like a must-buy for me!
Old 10-23-2006, 05:56 AM

Definitely sounds promising
Old 10-26-2006, 10:57 AM

I was listening to a Major Nelson podcast and he was talking to the guys at Microsoft that were working on the drive. He asked an interesting question and they said they might be able to do it with a firmware update.

Nelson asked if you could be playing a PGR3 and then insert a music CD into the HD DVD drive so that you could listen to your own music. That sounds like it could be pretty cool.