OUT of HDMI ports, drop A1 in favor of 360 add on? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 09-01-2007, 05:35 PM

Default OUT of HDMI ports, drop A1 in favor of 360 add on?

So I've got an A1, 360, PS3 and just got a DCT6416 DVR with HDMI and my Sony receiver only has 3 HDMI ports. I know I could just plug one of them in to the TV directly via DVI, but I like the ability to leave the TV on its HDMI input all the time and just select the device using my receiver. I don't really care about the add-ons lack of TrueHD, so in that regard I think it would be fine. However, I'm not impressed with the noise levels that the 360 puts out. Is it any quieter when playing back HD DVDs? Also, the mismatch of colors (I have the Elite) would be kind of annoying, but I guess I could keep the drive out of sight. Any input would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 09-01-2007, 09:03 PM

Does your receiver convert everything to output using the HDMI?

If it does I would keep the HDA1 and PS3 connected via HDMI so you don't have any issues with upconversion and plug the DVR in via component and let the receiver "switch" the signal to be output via HDMI.

I had a similar problem but because my receiver doesn't convert the component inputs to output through the HDMI I was forced to just plug my DVR directly to my TV's 2nd HDMI in.

Good luck.
Old 09-01-2007, 10:17 PM

No, it doesn't, it'll upconvert legacy to Component, but not HDMI. Would have cost another 100 I think for that and 7.1 instead of 6 (I'm happy with 5.1). I figure it won't be as loud when watching a movie vs. playing a game so I'm gonna go ahead and do it.