Bioshock broke my 360 (A week before Heroes!) - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-23-2007, 04:00 AM

Default Bioshock broke my 360 (A week before Heroes!)

So, Bioshock is awesome. It also likes to lock up my 360. I'm played about 6 hours of it on Tuesday when I bought it... But everytime I tried to play today, it would lock up after 10-45 minutes of gameplay. I even got three red lights on the ring (of death) once during a lockup.

I phoned Xbox tech-support. They got me to do a bunch of stuff (unplug harddrive, etc...) and the lady told me that it seemed to be working, but that it looks like it's going to die any minute.

The weird thing is, later that day I played 2 hours of Guitar Hero 2 with absolutely no problems. However 30 minutes more of Bioshock made my 360 freeze again.

Now my question is... Do I phone tech support back, get them to send me a coffin, knowing full well I'll have about 2 weeks to stare at the pretty Heroes: Season One box without being able to watch it? Or do I just not play Bioshock and hope for the best?

...But Bioshock's really good. If any game is worth repairing your console for... It's this one. Dilemma dilemma...
Old 08-23-2007, 04:55 AM
Banned

Uh. Did u get the warranty in store? How come Im the only one who does that.. Id rather pay 50 bucks at BB and be able to get a new elite rather than wait 2 months with microsoft.

Yeah.. repair center is STILL backed up .. 6-8weeks is now the target time.. has been for the past month or two.

So.. phone xbox.. theyll send a box.. you "SHOULD" receive it on wed/thurs. That way you can watch your HD DVD Heroes (of which I am equally excited about ^_-) For two days before the box comes.

Then, ship it out, and hope for the best. At least this way you can get it back somewhat soon.. otherwise if you wait a week.. you then have to wait ANOTHER week for the box to come.

If your xbox really is dying though, and hasn't 3 red lighted, then the warranty doesnt cover it.. the warranty ONLY covers the three red lights..

Of course if they were to somehow.. happen.. lets say.. then microsoft would send u the box and u could swap it out.
Old 08-23-2007, 07:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice2Dragon View Post
If your xbox really is dying though, and hasn't 3 red lighted, then the warranty doesnt cover it.. the warranty ONLY covers the three red lights..
In my experience the random crashes is just a pre-stage of the Ring of Death. (I had my XBox 360 broken 3 times).

What about the warranty in the US?
I got 2 years normal warranty here in Switzerland which is now extended two 3 years (for the Ring of Death only). You guys got only 1 year normal warranty in the US?
Old 08-23-2007, 07:26 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thaek View Post
In my experience the random crashes is just a pre-stage of the Ring of Death. (I had my XBox 360 broken 3 times).

What about the warranty in the US?
I got 2 years normal warranty here in Switzerland which is now extended two 3 years (for the Ring of Death only). You guys got only 1 year normal warranty in the US?
No its 3 years..

US and UK have different policies though -_-V
Old 08-25-2007, 03:33 AM

I have nightmares about getting the red ring of death. I'd send it back now. If you're lucky you bought your xbox at costco. They'll take anything back, warranty or not. I returned my DS there six months after buying it, no receipt, because it wasn't holding a charge.
Old 08-25-2007, 06:24 AM

Can someone tell me more about this ring of death? I'm not into gaming but I'm always eager to learn.

Is the Xbox 360 having so many problems? (6-8 weeks repairing time apparently) What is causing it?
Old 08-25-2007, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lolbroek View Post
Can someone tell me more about this ring of death? I'm not into gaming but I'm always eager to learn.

Is the Xbox 360 having so many problems? (6-8 weeks repairing time apparently) What is causing it?
Good question. Microsoft won't say why there are problems. Appears to be related to the system overheating, but nothing firm has been declared. The system has a green circular light on the front which is the on button. When the system fails, the light turns red. Rumored 30% of 360's have had the problem, although I haven't heard anything firm on that, or if that's launch consoles only. Basically, lots of 360s are breaking so Microsoft extended the warranty which is costing Microsoft about a billion dollars. And I've heard it takes a month to send your system in and get it repair, for free under the warranty. I'm sure time to repair and get your 360 back changes based on the backload. 360 fans fear the red ring of death like it's the plague because it's a pain in the arse not having your system for a month to be fixed. But they will fix it for free so it's just really really annoying.
Old 08-25-2007, 07:39 AM

Aha, thanks for the info.

I was wondering. "Red ring of death" sounds like something that could have come out of a South Park-episode
Old 08-25-2007, 05:30 PM

Bioshock didnt break your 360. Shitty parts used in the 360 broke your 360.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/17/g4...l-music-video/
Old 08-25-2007, 07:08 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by illegalprelude View Post
Bioshock didnt break your 360. Shitty parts used in the 360 broke your 360.

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/08/17/g4...l-music-video/
Odd, didnt know this was the smackdown thread.

It is microsofts fault, that is true.

But when you buy the unit at the store they ask you if you want a warranty..

Either wait 8 weeks or get anew one that day.. Its not microsofts fault for not getting the warranty, their warranty covers 3 years now.. but only for the red lights of death.. not for anything else..

Thats why for every system I get the warranty, sure its fifty bucks, but it beats the heck outta waiting for another system.. and that system is a refurbished one more often than not, except in canada.