Plasma TV and video games - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-20-2007, 09:36 AM

Default Plasma TV and video games

I've got my xbox 360 hooked up to a DLP tv in my basement. I was thinking of getting another and hooking it up to my plasma in the living room. I know there's questions of burn in and particular games that have a constant image displayed during game play. Has anybody experienced this? Does anybody have their 360 on a Plasma?

Thoughts, suggestions, flames welcome.

Thank you,
Old 08-20-2007, 10:24 AM

i have an 42" HP. It's awesome for gaming. There is some burn in on things that are stationery, but it's not permanant like everyone would have you believe. It's never there once you unpause the game and gets thing moving again. i was scared of that when i first got mine, but i have no qualms now.
Old 08-20-2007, 10:30 AM

i bought a plasma about a year or so ago, i had it for about a week and already started to notice spots on the screen form playing my video games, ex. my life hearts from Zelda. It would stay on there for a few hours then they would go away. Sears told me it had some whitewash system in plasmas and this system would not let your screen burn in but i went ahead and took it back and got an LCD tv. i didnt wanna risk paying all that money for a tv and it have burn-in on the screen. but from what i've read if its a newer plasma there really isnt a risk of burn-in but who really knows?
Old 08-20-2007, 11:16 AM

I've just bought a new Panasonic plasma and I haven't had any issues with burn in and/or image retention. Image retention is a non-permanent situation where an image stays on the screen until a new image replaces it. This isn't as serious as burn in, but it can be an issue on some sets apparently.

That said, I've played lots of Guitar Hero (a couple hours at a time) Forza, and the new Bioshock demo. I haven't had any image retention and certainly no burn in.

One thing to consider: I followed a break in procedure with my TV (PM me if you want more information). This might have helped reduce any potential issues with plasmas and gaming.

The bottom line is that most new plasmas from good companies (Panasonic, Pioneer, Samsung) have virtually eliminated the problem of burn in and/or image retention. You shouldn't have any issues with the new sets.

DM