360 audio and video output - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-17-2007, 02:43 PM

Default 360 audio and video output

ok,
Just wondering what the best way to run the outputs are. I was going to invest in a new system, but I can't justify it at this point.

I am currently running component to my reciever and then HDMI out to the Tv. I am set at 1080i and my tv upscales to 1080p or accepts native 1080p.

As for audio, just the basic cables to the reciever

I was reading that you can run optical, but where is the location on the 360 for that. Also, for best video output, what should I be doing. Is it true only the VGA can output 1080p?
thanks
Old 08-24-2007, 02:03 PM

The audio optical out is on the same cable that runs the component and coposite cables, at the base where it connects to the XBox 360 (there is a little space for you to connect the fiberoptic cable which you will easily see when you look at it). IMO the optical digital out gives better sound quality than the RCA cables for the audio.

I think you would probably get better quality of you get the XBox 360 elite with the HDMI output, and it would be better if you were able to run that to your receiver it it has it, if not, I don't think it's that big of a deal.

Run the Toslink to the receiver, and like you said most HDTVs upscale to progressive anyway. All digital TVs show the picture in Progressive Scan. Only analog TVs use interlace (which is the way the broadcast was sent.)