Does Component vs VGA affect HD-DVD playback? - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-11-2007, 07:41 PM

Default Does Component vs VGA affect HD-DVD playback?

We all know that VGA does give a better pic while palying games, but does it give a better PQ compared to component when watching HD-DVD by using the addon for the 360 or is it the same as watching it on Component?
Old 08-11-2007, 07:56 PM

I'm no expert, but I guess it just depends on the T.V. you're using. If it's 1080P then i imagine vga would look better because your HD-DVD drive will display the movie at 1080P, however if you have a T.V. that's 720P or lower, then i imagine component would look just about the same, sometimes even better to some people because of the apparent washed out look of the VGA connection. Just depends on your TV set i guess
Old 08-11-2007, 08:28 PM

I have seen a dramatic increase in the quality of the image over VGA after the "spring update" of my 360: now the black are no longer washed out and generally speaking the "intensity" of the colors got much better.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimba1970 View Post
I have seen a dramatic increase in the quality of the image over VGA after the "spring update" of my 360: now the black are no longer washed out and generally speaking the "intensity" of the colors got much better.
yeah i noticed this too after they added the feature of enhanced black levels after the spring update. before i never liked using the vga b/c colors didn't pop out as much as component. but after the update i switched back to vga because it looked better than before and pretty much match component colors. but i sold my vga cord, so i'm using component again.
Old 08-11-2007, 09:11 PM

I don't mean to thread hi-jack, just a quick question for either kimba or forsho, i've been deployed since the beginning of april, so i haven't had access to my 360, but does it look alot better then it did before the spring update? I mean i didn't have any complaints with the vga connection before, just wondering, if it looks that much better than before?
Old 08-12-2007, 12:08 AM

If you set the reference level to expanded it looks better.
Old 08-12-2007, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ni9ht_5ta1k3r View Post
If you set the reference level to expanded it looks better.
On the Xbox360 system blade, or are you speaking on the HD-DVD add on, I am curious as I have never scene this option Where might I find it, and will it make a difference if I connect via component?
Old 08-12-2007, 06:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenobyte3034 View Post
I don't mean to thread hi-jack, just a quick question for either kimba or forsho, i've been deployed since the beginning of april, so i haven't had access to my 360, but does it look alot better then it did before the spring update? I mean i didn't have any complaints with the vga connection before, just wondering, if it looks that much better than before?
Yes, the difference is really noticeable. After the update you find a new option under display setting concerning the "reference levels": if you select the "expanded" option no longer the blacks will look as washed out grays. The difference on my 50" DLP TV set was dramatic both for movies (DVD as well as HD DVD) and games: the new option is available only when connecting over VGA and does not make any difference for the component connection.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotburnttoast View Post
On the Xbox360 system blade, or are you speaking on the HD-DVD add on, I am curious as I have never scene this option Where might I find it, and will it make a difference if I connect via component?
It's in the system blade if you have VGA connected. I have my 360 hooked up to a Dell 2407FPW and I have my 360 set to expanded and the monitor to multimedia and it looks like it should.