HD pic questions - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 01-03-2007, 06:56 PM

Smile HD pic questions

I just got an HD addon for my 360 and I had a few questiopns that hopefully somone can answer for me.

1) My understanding about HD movies or shows is that for it to be true HD it has to be filmed in HD. What does this mean for older movies such as The Thing or Christmas Story. Is it just an upgraded picture with the older movies?

2) I played a few movies when I got my add on and it looked pretty good. However, after I watch them I then went into the Xbox dashboard and noticed that it was set to 720P. I put it to 1080P. My TV is a Sony 51 inch KP-51WS510 projection. It does not have a built in HD reciever. I am only able to switch between "P" and "I" and something called Cinemotion.

If I have it set to progressive will it know that it is only getting a signal in interlaced or vice versa? I looked in my instructions but that was awhile ago and I don't have the book with me.

I also noticed that after I switched the display on my Xbox I put in Rainbox 6 Vegas and it seemed to look much better. Not to mention I finally got an optical cable to run from the Xbox to my reciever so the sound is much better.

I am wanting to get a new LCD set but the wife said "No" since I just got this TV a few years ago. Unless I get deployed to Iraq again then I get any TV I want when I get back.

Thanks
Old 01-03-2007, 07:45 PM

That TV is 51" CRT RP. Set the xBox to 1080i, and let it go.

As for film, its higher possible resolution than HD, so its possible for them to look better. The Thing looks awesome. I would say reference for an older movie, but thats just me.

-John
Old 01-03-2007, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jperzo View Post
I just got an HD addon for my 360 and I had a few questiopns that hopefully somone can answer for me.

1) My understanding about HD movies or shows is that for it to be true HD it has to be filmed in HD. What does this mean for older movies such as The Thing or Christmas Story. Is it just an upgraded picture with the older movies?
Try the AVS forum, they have a HD DVD PQ thread rating the PQ for all the HD DVDs. It's a joint effort from everyone in the forum, so where all the films are placed are relatively where everyone thinks they should be. Here is the link.

As from personal experiance, I just threw in National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation last night to make sure it played, and I would almost rather just spend my money on the regular DVD version. On the other hand Happy Gilmore (ok, so it isn't that old of a movie) looked great, definitely worth the upgrade. The older movies that are getting HD trasfers might really be hit or miss. Just depends on how the movie was orginally filmed, and how much effort the studio's want to spend in either cleaning up the transfer, or make a new transfer.
Old 01-10-2007, 12:33 PM

It all depends on the transfer and the quality of the print it is taken from. Film can be blown up beyond 2k resolution.
Th thing to watch out for in the future is TV shows coming to HD - the ones filmed on film will be ok, but towards the mid 80's they started using video - which is limited to DVD res.