Should I get the HD-DVD drive? Opinions based on my setup pls - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-07-2007, 11:26 PM

Default Should I get the HD-DVD drive? Opinions based on my setup pls

Hey all...

I'm a newb here, and have read a few pages of threads, but still wondering what you all think based on my exact setup.

Got the 360 'standard' (Elite not out here in Aus yet, no idea when it will be), connected to a Samsung 32" LCD (1080i max) by component.

I've been burned as an early-adopter before (went through 3 PS2 units, back and forward with retailer and Sony, before getting a non-faulty one, and as it was I paid $750 on release day and the damn thing's ~$150 now), but once I decide I want something it's damn hard for me not to get it ha, and seeing as I have and love my 360, and the add-on's so cheap, AND there's enough HD-DVD titles out and coming soon, I'm verrrrrry tempted.

Now I can change the connection type to VGA, ie my LCD has such an input but I'd have to buy the cable.

I find it hard to notice any different between 720p and 1080i on the 360, and while I like the extra pixels of 1080, I don't think my telly really supports it - 1366x768 according to the manual (can't post URL/link cuz I'm a newb here) - and I obviously prefer progressive over interlaced (at least theoretically).

So (hoping I haven't forgotten anything relevant), whaddya reckon? Is it worth it with my setup? Or should I wait til I get a 1080p-capable unit (probably many many years before the wife will allow it ha), or the format war is won, etc etc etc?
Old 08-08-2007, 02:32 AM

I use a tv about the size via 720p and i love it.
By jan 08 there will be over 700 hd dvds out.
Imports are you friend

Batman Begins
Borune movies
The Matrix
are a few good ones out
Old 08-08-2007, 02:49 AM

After the price drop and five free you might as well. Thats a crazy good deal.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:24 AM

I'd say if you already have an HDTV and already have a 360 and really want to get into the HD game, then it's a no-brainer. You won't find a cheaper way into HD DVD and with the five free movies, that's already a good start towards a collection. I wish they had that deal back when I got mine...
Old 08-08-2007, 10:56 AM

it's an interesting time to be a hd dvd owner, never a dull moment.
Old 08-08-2007, 02:19 PM

i bought mine at launch and i love it i still want to get a standalone.
Old 08-08-2007, 06:03 PM

Cool, thanks all!

Yeah, love that I can import them, not that region-coding was ever really a problem (I always had a multizone/unlocked/etc).

Shame I live in Australia - we don't get the 5 free, I don't think.
Old 08-16-2007, 06:20 PM

Well I'm glad I got it - it's gorgeous.

Fiddled around for ages yesterday getting it working off my PC laptop (discovering the need for the UDF drivers for the internal Toshiba drive, then obtaining a decent copy - now paid for - of a software that supported HD), and even on that 15.4" widescreen 'King Kong' looked stunning.

Didn't like going through my docking station, even outputting via DVI, but anwyay - looked glorious on the laptop.

Took home and watched 'Happy Feet' (which I bought along with 'V for Vendetta' in anticipation), and was blown away by not just the stunning flawless picture, but the SOUND, which I'd not expected to be so superior. Awesome.

Anyway, now I need to decide whether to stick with component (and consequently whether to go 720p or 1080i - currently on the latter), or track down a VGA cable for the 360 (no retail outlets seem to have 'em, all outta stock, but can get from somewhere online).

Got 'Digital Video Essentials', which I've been after for a while, and haven't tweaked everything using that yet... just discovered there's the bloody HD version, but no biggie - SD DVD is still much more prevalent so as long as it's tuned perfectly for that I can make mini-tweaks for HD. Lovin' it!!!
Old 08-16-2007, 09:54 PM

i tried vga and it looked shit so i went back to component.
Old 08-16-2007, 10:11 PM

Interesting... don't wanna outlay the $50 AUS to get it if I'm gonna hate it... I HAVE heard that it looks a bit washed out with VGA vs component...