Red Ring of Death - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 08-05-2007, 03:59 PM

Question Red Ring of Death

Has anyone had a transient 'red ring of death?' I moved my Xbox 360 from my house to someone else's house and got the RROD, however after unplugging and replugging everything in, the Xbox 360 worked fine
Old 08-05-2007, 06:04 PM

Isn't the RRoD because of a loose connection? I mean, I've heard the whole wrap in towel thing and heating it up basically melts the connectors back on. So maybe what happened to you is that you have a loose connector that somehow when moving it again realigned it enough to not be "loose".
Old 08-06-2007, 12:34 AM
Banned

RRoD can also be just because the video cable isnt plugged in properly.
Old 08-06-2007, 12:40 AM
Formerly MrENGLISH

1 Light = Hardware Failure
2 Lights = System is too hot
3 Lights = Dead System
4 Lights = Check Cables/Connection
Old 08-07-2007, 04:53 AM

Certainly some red rings of death (3 lights) are caused by bad connections. I had a 360 on launch day that failed about a month later, but I kept it going for a few weeks by giving it a drop from a few inches above the table. After doing this each time, it would work initially for another week, then half a week and less and less until it finally gave up.

But my point is, that the above clearly suggested a broken/bad connection.
Old 08-07-2007, 08:48 AM

i just experienced the red ring of death for the first time and I have a launch console. I was playing Forza while listening to music off of a thumb drive, then BAM it shut down and gave me the 3 red rings of death. I pressed the power button on my remote, turned it back on and it has worked since....should I call for my warranty now or wait til it completely dies?
Old 08-07-2007, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smockaveli View Post
i just experienced the red ring of death for the first time and I have a launch console. I was playing Forza while listening to music off of a thumb drive, then BAM it shut down and gave me the 3 red rings of death. I pressed the power button on my remote, turned it back on and it has worked since....should I call for my warranty now or wait til it completely dies?
Sometimes that will happen if your power fluctuates. I've had that happen once over a year ago when the power was acting up here. Wouldnt be alarmed unless it continues.
Old 08-07-2007, 09:50 AM

My son was in his bedroom playing and yelled "Dad, the 360 isn't working and red lights are flashing on the front of it!!" My heart dropped because I had just bought a brand new premium for me to play in the living room. Luckily I just unplugged it and plugged it back in and it's worked fine ever since. I think it just came unplugged in the back a little.
Old 08-07-2007, 10:42 AM

im on my fourth one and it works perfect knock on wood i think they added the new heatsink and what not in my repaired system.

However my second console which i bought from best buy, it had the 3lights. what i did, was i opened it up, use an air compressor cleaned the dust off, took out the mother board on the back of the motherboard, their are four black ram chips. I took 12 pennies, put them in four sets three in each, wrapped them in black electrical tape, used quick cement, cemented them onto the ram, let them dry, hooked everything up and all of a sudden the red rings were gone.

for more detailed info, check out www.xbox-scene.com
I wouldnt do this if you have one console, make sure your older consoles are out of the warranty and void that baby lol.. also it's trial and error it took me a few trys before it worked.
Old 08-07-2007, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deth crimsonx View Post
im on my fourth one and it works perfect knock on wood i think they added the new heatsink and what not in my repaired system.

However my second console which i bought from best buy, it had the 3lights. what i did, was i opened it up, use an air compressor cleaned the dust off, took out the mother board on the back of the motherboard, their are four black ram chips. I took 12 pennies, put them in four sets three in each, wrapped them in black electrical tape, used quick cement, cemented them onto the ram, let them dry, hooked everything up and all of a sudden the red rings were gone.

for more detailed info, check out www.xbox-scene.com
I wouldnt do this if you have one console, make sure your older consoles are out of the warranty and void that baby lol.. also it's trial and error it took me a few trys before it worked.
well since the warranty got extended til 2008 then all consoles should be good to go until then. Thanks for advice though, and I'll keep that in mind in case i aquire an extra one in the future