Silicon Knights Suing Epic - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-20-2007, 08:46 AM

Default Silicon Knights Suing Epic

From http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/806/806622p1.html
Quote:
Today Mark Rein, VP at Epic Games (Gears of War), issued a brief statement letting the press know the company was served a lawsuit this morning from Silicon Knights, makers of forthcoming Too Human. The statement doesn't release any details about the lawsuit, but Rein does say he believes Knights' claims are baseless.

"We believe the claims against us are unfounded and without merit and we intend to fully defend against them," Rein said. "We'd love to tell you more about it but unfortunately our lawyers want us to save our comments for the courthouse so we're going to do our best to comply with their wishes."

Rein assured us any further pursuit of comment would result in a "no comment." We do know that Silicon Knights has licensed Epic's Unreal Engine 3 for use in Too Human.

Update: Denis Dyack, president of Silicon Knights, said in his own press release Thursday that the Unreal Engine 3 did not work as Epic represented it would and that "Epic has been unable or unwilling" to fix the problems.

"Our strong preference is to focus on making games, not be in court, Dyack said. "Unfortunately though, as explained in our lawsuit, we have had extensive problems with the Unreal Engine 3 that Epic has been unwilling or unable to rectify. For more than a year, we have been trying to reach an agreement with Epic to resolve these issues without resorting to litigation, but were unable to come to reasonable terms with Epic. Regrettably, we are now forced to go to court in order to achieve satisfaction. We remain hopeful, however, that we can reach a reasonable business resolution with Epic at some point."

The Silicon Knights release goes on to accuse Epic of selling its unfinished middleware to developers and using those companies' licensing fees to fund Gears of War - at the expense of fixing Unreal Engine 3's alleged problems.

"No doubt Gears is a fun and phenomenally successful game, but as we alleged in our complaint against them, we strongly believe that from the perspective of someone waiting for a game engine that Epic promised it would deliver almost two years ago, it seems pretty clear that Gears was built on the backs of the Unreal Engine licensees. We certainly stand by our allegations in the lawsuit that instead of using our licensing fees to develop and support the Unreal Engine 3, Epic used that money to build Gears," Dyack said.
Wonder if this means Too Human will be delayed some more. I have been looking forward to it ever since it was announced for the original Playstation in 1999 .
Old 07-20-2007, 01:06 PM

I really hope it hasn't been delayed. I've been waiting for this game ever since I beat Eternal Darkness when that first came out in 2002. I've been a fan of Silicon Knights ever since. From what I've seen of the game, it looks almost done, but there are obvious frame rate stutters and slow downs. Maybe they've been dealing with some sort of bug issues causing the game to freeze or crash? Silicon Knights paid for a complete product from Epic, and apparently they have yet to receive it. It's possible that this has been the primary reason for the delays the game has suffered the past year or so. If I have to wait longer then there's nothing I can do, I just hope this game is worth the wait.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:14 PM

Sk switched the unreal engine to their own engine they made. This isnt the first that a developer should a dislike in the ue3. The company that made frame city killer cancelled their game because the ue3 was new to them and didn't have experience from the past engines.

suing a developer that made one of the best engines ever to fund their own game{gow} is sad.