November XBox360 Dashboard Update for HD DVD add-on - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-26-2006, 04:49 PM

Default November XBox360 Dashboard Update for HD DVD add-on

I read online that there was an update to the 360 dashboard released in november. The microsoft website isnt terribly specific on the details, but i was curious if any of you who have updated your console can answer me this:

Are you able to "letterbox zoom" hd-dvds now? Meaning, can you zoom in so that I dont have the blackbars on the top and bottom of my 16:9TV. I dont have internet at the moment so I cant download the update and its quite irritating. I can zoom in on regular DVDs but not HD-DVDs.
Old 12-27-2006, 01:46 AM

You can download the update by burning a new setup disk. Got to the HD-DVD product page on Xbox.com. There are instructions there.
Old 12-27-2006, 09:59 AM

Thanks Dustoman! You know, I actually CALLED microsoft and after being on hold for 15 minutes, the girl said the ONLY way to get the update was to have xbox live. I specificially asked if I could get it online and burn it to a disc and she said no. It didnt sound like she was very comfortable with english though, so maybe she just didnt understand. Grrr! Either way, thanks!

Quick question though: Does the update allow you to "letterbox zoom" HD-DVDs? For example, superman returns has an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 or something like that, so the picture is letterboxed. I want to be able to zoom in so the picture fills the whole 1.85:1 (16x9) screen.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:13 AM

Why would you want to Zoom in the picture?

You'd rather have some of it cut off or stretched then a black bar at the top of the screen?

The black bars only bother you if you let it. I agree I'd rather not have the black bars but not if it means cutting off part of the picture or stretching it.

I would be interested in a list of HD DVDs that fill up the whole screen without being zoomed or stretched.

I heard Slither was one, I own it but havn't had a chance to watch it yet.
Old 12-27-2006, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tranzparentl View Post
Why would you want to Zoom in the picture?

You'd rather have some of it cut off or stretched then a black bar at the top of the screen?

The black bars only bother you if you let it. I agree I'd rather not have the black bars but not if it means cutting off part of the picture or stretching it.

I would be interested in a list of HD DVDs that fill up the whole screen without being zoomed or stretched.

I heard Slither was one, I own it but havn't had a chance to watch it yet.

i HATE stretching, but you dont lose much of anything of value ZOOMING from 2.35:1 to 1.85:1. (I never zoomed when I had a 4:3 TV, because you lost so much, but its not noticable on the 16:9s) Try it sometime. Keep a scene on Pause and zoom in from letterbox to 16:9. You lose a little off the edges but what you gain is filling up your entire screen! I guess its all a matter of personal preference, but I love having my whole screen filled up. I know hulk is naturally 16:9 on DVD and it is amazing (the picture, not the movie itself).
Old 12-27-2006, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigsef3 View Post
Quick question though: Does the update allow you to "letterbox zoom" HD-DVDs? For example, superman returns has an aspect ratio of 2.35:1 or something like that, so the picture is letterboxed. I want to be able to zoom in so the picture fills the whole 1.85:1 (16x9) screen.
You're welcome. I'll check the zoom function when I get my drive back tonight. It's on loan to my parents.
Old 12-27-2006, 12:13 PM
Super Moderator

I didn't notice anything allowing any zooming to crop the black bars when I was playing with mine yesterday. I don't know why you'd want to anyway!
Old 12-27-2006, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tejstar View Post
I didn't notice anything allowing any zooming to crop the black bars when I was playing with mine yesterday. I don't know why you'd want to anyway!
Dangit! Why let me do it on standard dvds but not the highdefs? as to elminating the letterboxing, you should try it. Why have an expensive 1080p tv if you dont want to fill the screen up? And Zooming in doesnt make you miss anything of import. Generally when they make movies they keep this in mind and dont put anything important on the edges.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:53 PM

I downloaded the update and put it on a CD last night and didnt notice anything different at all. either its the exact same update as what came loaded with the CD in my hd-dvd box or the changes are all transparent.
Old 12-28-2006, 02:59 PM

All the update consisted of was some fixes for specific HD-DVDs (and MS didn't say which ones). There were no new features added.