Help! Issues with vista and my 360! - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-14-2007, 04:24 PM

Default Help! Issues with vista and my 360!

I have followed the instructions on microsofts website to configure vista to work with the 360 as a media center extender. however, the problem I am having is that when windows firewall is on, after about 5 minutes, i will lose my internet connection on my 360 and my vista system. when the firewall is off, everything works fine. i have also noticed that windows firewall gets turned on and off all the time and i have no idea what is doing it. i have an OEM copy of vista so microsoft refuses to help me and tells me i have to call the manufacturer... well, i built the system myself so i am the manufacturer! haha. if anyone can offer some suggestions here i would greatly appreciate it. thanks!
Old 07-14-2007, 05:01 PM

add media center extender to the list of trusted programs.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dajohn29 View Post
add media center extender to the list of trusted programs.
i did that. i have no idea whats going on. itll work great for a while and then just randomly stop working. i think whatever keeps turning windows firewall on and off is also changing some settings.... for example, i set my network to private, but something keeps changing it back to public... which also turns off the internet. its quite annoying! and i really dont see why windows vista settings would screw up my 360's ability to connect to xbox live.

Oh, one other thing. the network icon on the bottom right of my screen is telling me right now that i only have local access and there is an "x" indicating there is no connection between my home network and the internet.... but i'm on the internet.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:54 PM

run a virus scan, this is the only thing that I can think of that would be doing this.
Old 07-15-2007, 10:53 AM

it ended up being windows live one care that was screwing everything up.... it kept changing the windows firewall settings that i had changed. everything got up and running fine.

now the only problem is if i am fast forwarding or rewinding a HD video at too fast a speed, it crashes my network. if i avoid anything over 4x i am fine. i hope microsoft releases some updates to fix this problem.
Old 07-15-2007, 12:24 PM

What kinda wireless are you using? A or N is really recommended for HD video. B is just too slow and G has to much interference so videos are more likely to studder. There's a network tuner utility that helps you figure out where to position your antenna on your wireless to get the best signal. Have you tried looking at that?
Old 07-15-2007, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DustoMan View Post
What kinda wireless are you using? A or N is really recommended for HD video. B is just too slow and G has to much interference so videos are more likely to studder. There's a network tuner utility that helps you figure out where to position your antenna on your wireless to get the best signal. Have you tried looking at that?
im actually not using wireless at all. my entire network is wired. my router is wireless, but only my laptop uses that. i am currently using this product as my "wireless" connection from my pc to my router, but ive run into the same problem using a regular ethernet cable. ironically, this product runs at 200mbps and everything else runs at 100, so its the fastest thing on my network!

also, whenever i experience these problems, i go back up to my pc and the monitor is not getting a signal from my pc. the problem literally crashes everything including my router. theres no way it can be a virus, as my computer is like 4 days old and i was having these problems almost immediately. if my 360 is off, everything runs great. but the second i connect my 360 to xbox live or use media center, i start to have problems... and i get the same problem with 2 different routers so i know its not a hardware issue. i think its possible that i need to set up the routers to allow/block certain ports, but i couldnt find anything about it on microsoft/xbox website.
Old 07-24-2007, 06:02 PM

yeh, you need to configure your NAT to allow your computer full access to the internet, and your 360 the same, LAN functions should work perctly though, to open ports go to www.portforward.com, but if its a LAN problem make sure your devices are clealy visible, and file sharings enabled on the actual router itself, if it keeps playing up i dont have a clue those are the only ways i can think off fixing the problem
Old 07-24-2007, 06:03 PM

also with your monitor going a bit strange, i would reccommend going onto device manager to see if anything, and i mean anything needs a driver update, it could be your graphics card maybe
Old 07-25-2007, 11:36 AM

What router are you using?