XLBVM news from E3: Global launch and Disney content - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-11-2007, 11:15 AM

Default XLBVM news from E3: Global launch and Disney content

Just announced last night, the Xbox Live Video Marketplace will be coming to Europe and Canada later this year, for those that have been waiting for that. It'll be interesting to see how similar (or dissimilar) the experience is for those users and what content will be available.

Also, Disney has announced that they will be launching their own content on the XBLVM starting immediately, and apparently, all in HD. This marks the second time that a Blu-ray exclusive studio has opted to launch content on the XBLVM service, after Lionsgate started adding their own lineup a few months ago. Does anyone else find it curious that these two studios have brought their HD content to Microsoft's console, while Universal continues to sit it out?

I would guess that the studios see the XBLM as an agnostic platform (much like iTunes), but it's still weird to me that I might be able to rent a Pixar movie in HD from the XBLVM, but I'll never be able to buy it on HD DVD.

...and I just realized there's probably a better place to put this...
Old 07-12-2007, 01:00 AM

About time! I won't be a big paid content consumer, but a richer variety of game videos and movie trailers will be nice...
Old 07-14-2007, 08:35 AM

Yeah, I was going through the video marketplace today because I've a guest living with us for awhile who hasn't seen what the 360 can do, and I was like, "what? aristocats? alice in wonderland? HERCULES?!!?!? TARZAN???? Atlantis? Emperor's New Groove?"

Besides the fact that these are movie rentals from the land of blu-ray, They're cheaper than other movies - probably because of the lenth. 360 points I think for a Disney movie in HD. Awesome. I haven't rented a single video yet because I tend to buy, but I may have to try this out.

And it will be Hercules, because that movie kicks so much ass.
Old 07-15-2007, 04:56 AM

So I downloaded Hercules, my first XBLVM movie download, and it looked fantastic, of course.

HOWEVER - the audio appeared to be encoded as stereo only. This was sort of a disappointment as the DVD of Hercules, which we have, is encoded in Dolby Surround 5.1.

The Pro Logic system worked fine with the stereo mix, but still. Somewhat disappointing. I'm assuming this is because it's a "classic" movie and not a newer release. Any thoughts?
Old 07-15-2007, 12:26 PM

Only some HD movies on marketplace are in 5.1. If the film has 5.1 audio it's noted in the description.