HD-DVD and the Onkyo 605s - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 07-06-2007, 09:30 AM

Default HD-DVD and the Onkyo 605s

Hey guys, new here, not too familiar with all the newest video/sound tech but hopefully you will beable to help me..

So heres my new setup (getting the receiver today)

Samsung DLP 61" (720p/1080i)
Onkyo 605s
Xbox360/HDDVD via component/optical
PS3 via HDMI
Wii vis component/analog sound
Cable box via HDMI

I am really focusing on the XBOX (hence this forum)
but any setup options advice would be great..

So yeah, i guess my main question would be in regards to the xbox and
hooking it up via component to this new receiver. I am going to be letting it hit the TV via the HDMI cable, im guessing that it will take the xbox360s component signal and move that to the HDMI output?
How is the quality on that?

Now heres the other question, with the hddvds with dolbytruehd, i know that the HD stream cannot be held on the optical truely.. if i upgraded to the HDMI elite, what will be the AV quality difference (mostly the sound) betwen the optical and using HDMI. Does the xbox output the stream as is so the receiver can decode the TRUEHD/DTS-HD? or does it try and decode it and
then just output it at whatever it wants..

Thanks ahead of time!
Old 07-06-2007, 09:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinematic9 View Post
So yeah, i guess my main question would be in regards to the xbox and hooking it up via component to this new receiver. I am going to be letting it hit the TV via the HDMI cable, im guessing that it will take the xbox360s component signal and move that to the HDMI output?
How is the quality on that?
PQ should be fine.

Quote:
Now heres the other question, with the hddvds with dolbytruehd, i know that the HD stream cannot be held on the optical truely.. if i upgraded to the HDMI elite, what will be the AV quality difference (mostly the sound) betwen the optical and using HDMI. Does the xbox output the stream as is so the receiver can decode the TRUEHD/DTS-HD?
The Xbox 360 HD DVD add on will not output TrueHD or DD+, the highest quality audio you can get from the add on is DTS, whether you have the Elite or the regular 360. What the Elite would be able to do via HDMI is give you up to 1080p video if your TV supports 1080p. Actually, I think you can buy a HDMI cable for the regular Xbox360 and get 1080p. (It's new)

Now, your PS3 will support TrueHD and DD+ via HDMI. You'll want to set your PS3's HDMI setting to PCM because it will not bitstream these audio formats. What will happen is the PS3 will decode these codecs and send them to the 605 via PCM stream. So your receiver will display PCM Multichannel. Enjoy!

Last edited by cardpetree; 07-06-2007 at 11:01 AM.
Old 07-06-2007, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardpetree View Post

Now, your PS3 will support TrueHD and DD+ via HDMI. You'll want to set your PS3's HDMI setting to PCM because it will not bitstream these audio formats. What will happen is the PS3 will decode these codecs and seem them to the 605 via PCM stream. So your receiver will display PCM Multichannel. Enjoy!
Thanks for the info on the HDdvd addon for the nextgen audio codecs. Basically I am going to want to get a stand alone to get all the true features, im guessing

As for the PS3, im curious as to the bitstream option being there.. it sounds as if there is no reason to currently use it right now.. im guessing that the potential will be unlocked in a firmware update possibly?
Old 07-06-2007, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Thanks for the info on the HDdvd addon for the nextgen audio codecs. Basically I am going to want to get a stand alone to get all the true features, im guessing
Yes, but currently there are no HD DVD or Blu-ray players out that will send any of the next gen audio via bitstream. Also there is no player on either side that will decode DTS HD Master Audio. A stand alone HD DVD player will do the same thing the PS3 does via HDMI or 5.1 analog outs. Unless you just have to have TrueHD and DD+ right now, I'd wait until the fall, there should be players coming out that support ALL highdef features. Now, I say should, but you never know. These companies are going to sqeeze every penny out of us that we're willing to spend.

Quote:
As for the PS3, im curious as to the bitstream option being there.. it sounds as if there is no reason to currently use it right now.. im guessing that the potential will be unlocked in a firmware update possibly?
Is there an Auto option? Because you can still bitstream Dolby Digital and DTS from SDDVD via HDMI. As far as a firmware update, that is what I and a lot of Highdef consumers are hoping for. There has been no confirmation that a firmware update that allows this will be forthcoming anytime soon. Also, I've read that the chip in the PS3 will not allow for bitstreaming of the next gen audio formats with a firmware update. Personally, I hope this isn't true because I'd like to get a PS3.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardpetree View Post
Yes, but currently there are no HD DVD or Blu-ray players out that will send any of the next gen audio via bitstream. Also there is no player on either side that will decode DTS HD Master Audio. A stand alone HD DVD player will do the same thing the PS3 does via HDMI or 5.1 analog outs. Unless you just have to have TrueHD and DD+ right now, I'd wait until the fall, there should be players coming out that support ALL highdef features. Now, I say should, but you never know. These companies are going to sqeeze every penny out of us that we're willing to spend.

Is there an Auto option? Because you can still bitstream Dolby Digital and DTS from SDDVD via HDMI. As far as a firmware update, that is what I and a lot of Highdef consumers are hoping for. There has been no confirmation that a firmware update that allows this will be forthcoming anytime soon. Also, I've read that the chip in the PS3 will not allow for bitstreaming of the next gen audio formats with a firmware update. Personally, I hope this isn't true because I'd like to get a PS3.
Ahh, i do not need need this right now, i just was hoping my early adopting strategies would maybe not come back to bite me in the arse like it always does

As for the ps3 options, no there arnt any auto options.. just the PCM and Bitstream. Which is why i am curious as to why that option would even be there if it wasnt being planned on getting used.

oh well we will see!
Old 07-06-2007, 11:51 AM

Quote:
As for the ps3 options, no there arnt any auto options.. just the PCM and Bitstream. Which is why i am curious as to why that option would even be there if it wasnt being planned on getting used.

Well, like I said, you can bitstream Dolby Digital and DTS via HDMI from Blu-ray, HD DVD, or SDDVD. I didn't say Blu-ray and HD DVD before, but you can.

My HD A2 has an Auto option, so when you're watching a HD DVD you can get TrueHD and DD+ via HDMI pcmstream and on SDDVD's you can bitstream the regular audio formats.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Set the PS3 HDMI to bitstream. That way for DTS & Dolby audio tracks it sends them to the Onkyo 605 receiver for decoding. But when playing a PCM audio track, the PS3 just ignores the bitstream setting and outputs the PCM.