XBOX360 HD DVD sells 42K in November - High-Def Digest Forums

Old 12-13-2006, 09:46 PM

Default XBOX360 HD DVD sells 42K in November

Not bad. Not bad at all.

http://biz.gamedaily.com/industry/feature/?id=14737

This thing was hard to find with next to no advertising. This is getting interesting.

And didn't this effectively DOUBLE the HD DVD userbase?
Old 12-13-2006, 09:57 PM

Nice. That's 42,000 people that will be activley buying hd dvd movies added in just one month. Let's hope MS starts to bundle it so stores can't hide it in the back.
Old 12-13-2006, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by messin18 View Post
Nice. That's 42,000 people that will be activley buying hd dvd movies added in just one month. Let's hope MS starts to bundle it so stores can't hide it in the back.
Yup. Think about it. 42,000 XBOX360 owners went out and dropped $200 to watch HD DVDs. And this thing was HARD to find in November (I had to order mine off of Amazon).

Now that this thing is actually in stores, lets see how December shakes out.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:05 AM
Super Moderator

That seems like a good uptake. I wonder whether they are making a profit on these or are they a loss leader (like the 360)?
Old 12-14-2006, 10:20 AM

I am not sure how accurate this figure is, but if true that does mean 42,000 people onto the HD DVD format and you know they are buying it for playback of the format not simply a games console like the PS3.

Looking forward to next year...
Old 12-15-2006, 06:36 AM
Super Moderator

Well that high figure is the reason why we only got around 1,000 units in the UK or so.

Still managed to get one myself though!
Old 12-15-2006, 12:37 PM

Yeah, definitely good news for HD DVD.

Quote:
Originally Posted by glidem View Post
I am not sure how accurate this figure is, but if true that does mean 42,000 people onto the HD DVD format and you know they are buying it for playback of the format not simply a games console like the PS3.
For the holidays I'm working at Best Buy part time and have noticed that most people buying the add on here are also picking up about 2-3 HD DVD's, whereas the people that pick up a PS3 as they come in aren't even buying a game let alone a Blu-Ray movie.
Old 12-15-2006, 02:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo View Post
Yeah, definitely good news for HD DVD.

For the holidays I'm working at Best Buy part time and have noticed that most people buying the add on here are also picking up about 2-3 HD DVD's, whereas the people that pick up a PS3 as they come in aren't even buying a game let alone a Blu-Ray movie.
Much easier on the pocket books for the drive and a couple of movies. There is a bit of psychology here in the consumer mind at play as well.....

It's about how much one has to spend at one time. I have seen many many people spend 300 bucks on DVD's in one day (Done it myself) and then 2 days later (Sometimes even the next day) do it again. Now they just spent 600 bucks, but for some reason since it was split it didn't feel like such a dip into the pocket books.

To make a single $600 purchase just feels more painful, let alone add another 60 bucks for a game? Or even 30 for a movie? Oooof......Plus how many already add on an extended warranty to boot? It adds up fast....

I know it's crazy, but I have it and I know many other people who have that same feeling and tendency.....
Old 12-15-2006, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeSade View Post
Much easier on the pocket books for the drive and a couple of movies. There is a bit of psychology here in the consumer mind at play as well.....

It's about how much one has to spend at one time. I have seen many many people spend 300 bucks on DVD's in one day (Done it myself) and then 2 days later (Sometimes even the next day) do it again. Now they just spent 600 bucks, but for some reason since it was split it didn't feel like such a dip into the pocket books.

To make a single $600 purchase just feels more painful, let alone add another 60 bucks for a game? Or even 30 for a movie? Oooof......Plus how many already add on an extended warranty to boot? It adds up fast....

I know it's crazy, but I have it and I know many other people who have that same feeling and tendency.....
You hit it RIGHT on the head. It's also why so many 360 users are getting the add on.

The investment has been split. Months ago (or over a year ago like me) 360 gamers bought their 360s for $300 or $400. You've played it and loved it for months. Now the add-on comes out with a movie and remote for $200. You're not going to say "I paid $600 for HD movies", you're gonna say "WOW! Only $200 for HD movies!!"

There's something about going over $400 that makes people hesitate. $500+ constitutes a "major purchase" for most working folks and you better be sure you really want what you're going to buy. Splitting something in two is much eastier to swallow.

That sticker shock will be an obstacle the PS3 will have to over come I think.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:28 AM
Super Moderator

Or maybe it is to do with the fact that there have not been too many BD releases up until now - as the choice becomes wider (I think it is only in the last week or so that BD releases exceed HD-DVD) we may see more titles being sold.